What's new
What's new

Kingston Conley Electric Co.- Is this the original motor on the 9A?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Cleaning up the motor on this 9A- get the crud off the nameplate and it's KC Electric Co- and the model says "SB"... would this really be the original motor some 65 years old?

Runs smooth, rewired the lead into the junction box (there was no provision for an external ground so I used the screw for the cover plate to hold a crimp connector).

Came with a wall switch (literally) that had replaced whatever was originally on top of the gear guard- but the only drum switches I see are FWD-REV-OFF types, and I just need a simple on/off. What was originally used?

Maybe apples and oranges...but I'm not an electrician...
But I use an inexpensive speed controller on my gunstock duplicator routers- I don't suppose something as simple as this could be used to control this motor speed (1/2 hp, only 7.3 amps at 110v) outside of the belt speeds? Or is this not anything close to the same application given the torque involved?

Typically the motors on routers are permanent magnet DC or universal on older models. The speed control you have for your router will not work on an induction motor like the one on your lathe. Speed control for a single phase induction motor with a starting winding and starting switch is very difficult to accomplish. If you want variable speed on your lathe you'll have to either change over to a permanent magnet DC motor (you could possibly use the control you have for your router) or to a 3 phase motor with VFD control.

Router speed control won't work...I think you are talking about the inexpensive controls from various outlet houses of ill repute..:

I would buy a proper drum switch- fwd/off/rev...you don't need reverse very often but sure is handy when you do.

Router speed control won't work...I think you are talking about the inexpensive controls from various outlet houses of ill repute..:

I would buy a proper drum switch- fwd/off/rev...you don't need reverse very often but sure is handy when you do.

So, the drum switch reverses the start and run windings to allow for reverse rotation?

Truthfully, I suck at electric...that's why I went 3ph and VFD...

but if you repost with a "wiring help" and good pics of your motor with any data plates/diagrams you find, the guys can help.

I'd start a new thread, but pics won't do any good- as there's literally nothing to show. But, I found this pic that's of the same motor in much prettier shape:

13492-A.jpg
[/IMG]

The motor is single phase, 1/2 hp, 1740 rpm, 7.3 amps at 110v (60 hz). Inside the cover plate, is a plastic terminal strip with studs for the two motor leads and corresponding hot and neutral external wiring. As I mentioned, I wired a ground to the tapped screw hole for the cover plate.

I'm just trying to buy a switch for this. I assumed the simple on/off switch that was on it could be improved upon...but if that's all that's needed, I'll be heavier in the wallet.

So, the drum switch reverses the start and run windings to allow for reverse rotation?
Usually, that is the jist of it. Some motors are not meant to run in reverse and you have to manually dig in there are reverse the start/run windings. Or snip the wires and wire in your own forward/reverse switch. Needless to say, it gets ugly fast. A while back I turned a CCW capacitor start, capacitor run 120v motor into a bidirectional. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just purchased a new motor.

My 1947 9a still has the original Westinghouse 1/2 hp instant reversing motor on it. If you can post a close up picture of the plates on your motor and the plastic barrier strip you are talking about we can get something figured out.

Started the second thread because it was suggested I do so in order to specifically request wiring help.

I'm new here, so I do as I'm told, lol...

I'd close this, or delete it, if I could...

Back