What's new
What's new

Large Dials for South Bend 9 or 10K

millermachine

Cast Iron
We are making large dial conversion for South Bend small dial lathes 9 or 10K. These are a direct replacement for your small dials. The only thing that needs to be done is marking the zero mark on the collar and a hole for the spanner wrench if wanted. The collar can be installed using a strap wrench. These are direct read dials and are 1 7/8 diameter. The compound dial cost $92.50 plus shipping. We are looking at making large dials for all South Bend lathes. Thanks
Brian Miller
Phone 618 946 0793
email: [email protected]
Paula if this post doesn't belong here please remove thanks

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,826
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,695
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,639
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,772
Last edited:
One problem you are going to have to address is the inch or so of crosslide travel your customers are going to lose. On the originals, the crosslide clears over the top of the small dials, and the large dials have an extended screw and housing.

I dont have the crossslide dials listed for just that reason. I am redoing the thickness of the gradation coller to that of the compound. Then I am thinning the the face of the collar to .250 at the 1 7/8 diameter. By doing these two steps I will achieve 1.375 from the end of the apron to the 1 7/8 diameter. The factory dimension was 1 7/8 for the end of the apron to the end of the collar on their large dials. This will result in a lose of 1/2 inch of travel of the crossslide or 1 inch in diameter. This will be for someone who doesnt want to buy a new crossslide screw to get large dials this will be a option. I will make large dials that offer full travel but a new crossslide screw will be required in order to do this. I will post when I have a working dial set. Thanks
Brian miller

How about making a shaft extension that screws onto the handle nut threads? It could have an ID the same as the handle and an OD the same size as the rest of the shaft. Secure it with green loc-tite and it won't come loose unless heated to 500F.

A bit complex to machine but if you do it on a CNC should cost much less than a full cross slide screw to the dimensions of the OEM large dial type.

Actually, it's an idea that's been proposed elsewhere, don't know whether it ever became a reality or not. The usual method is to cut off the old handle section, make a new, longer one, and drill/ream/loctite/pin in place. The post from Miller Machine is almost two years old, not sure if this ever went anywhere.

Back