What's new
What's new

Lathe Bed to Cabinet Gasket Material?

sometoyotaguy

Plastic
While I have my lathe apart, I'd like to replace the gasket material between the bed and the cabinet. Napa sells sheets of gasket material. What kind should I use?

It's a 9" SB under drive model.

I'm not an expert. But I'd like to pass along something I learned when I was making new spindle-bearing cap gaskets. Some of the gasket materials that are made for automotive use contain fiberglass filler. Yes fiberglass!. I suggest that you be certain of its composition before applying any gasket material to your machine tools.

Best Regards,
Bob

Years ago, my first lathe was a cabinet mounted 9" SB. When I moved it, the lathe and the cabinet were separated. When I reassembled it, I just used 1/64" fiber gasket stock from NAPA. The lathe bed could be twisted with some setscrews under the tailstock area of the bed to adjust straightness, so I wasn't too worried.

These days, you could probably simply use one of the silicone form-a-gasket compounds that are now available. As soon as the lathe and cabinet are back together, you could clean up any squeeze-out with a rag with a bit of mineral spirits on it.

I'm not an expert. But I'd like to pass along something I learned when I was making new spindle-bearing cap gaskets. Some of the gasket materials that are made for automotive use contain fiberglass filler. Yes fiberglass!. I suggest that you be certain of its composition before applying any gasket material to your machine tools.

Best Regards,
Bob

Be thankful that they changed it. It used to be filled with asbestos. I think it was a pretty good substitute considering the health hazards.

Stay safe and have fun.
Joe.

I'm restoring a 9", and had the same question. The one in place on mine looked like 1/16" cork - and I found similar material and cut a replacement (carefully) with an xacto. Crazy?

I would be never use any compressible gasket materials, as the lathe "leveling" would change as the gasket compresses over time. A few thousandths means nothing to an automotive gasket, but it matters when assuring no twist in a lathe bed.

Degrease, and just run a quality sealant resistant to petroleum products around the base.

I would measure the thickness of the old gasket, bearing in mind that the new gasket material will compress to about half its prior thickness.
If the gasket is cut uniform width throughout, it should compress pretty well evenly, as long as it is torqued evenly.

I used some sheet gasket material I had on hand for other projects. I think it was 1/16". Probably would work fine with a sealer too.

Back