What's new
What's new

New purchase and new to the board

toolman_ar

Plastic
This weekend I ended up purchasing a South Bend 9" Lathe that ran at the Previous Owners shop. I say it ran, he turned it on and it when round and round.

There is no chuck, saddle, apron, tool holder...

The legs are Sebastien May and the table is not real sturdy. The color was rust / dirt, with a shade of lime green.

The serial number is 89394, the bed is 36" long and 6" wide. The spindle thread aprears to be 1.5" x 8 TPI. That is good news as I have been reading all weekend and the 1 3/8" spindle makes it harder to find a chuck.

Soon as I can figure out how to post a picture I will put some up. I will be contacting SB to get the card so I can get an exact date on when this tool shipped and was put into service.

Is the 6" bed common?
Could the head stock been changed at one time to have the larger spindle?
There is no power feed.

Please let me know what I have so I can start finding parts.

toolman_ar
Birmingham, AL

P.S. anyone close who I can contact for local information?

HeadStockandTaleStock.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

You can either reply to your original post with pics added or go back and click "edit" then click "go advanced" on original post to add pics. You can't post pics in the first post of a thread but you can add them right after using either method mentioned.
Welcome to the forum, there are a few of us scattered across the state and at least two other members I believe are in the birmingham area.

"There is no chuck, saddle, apron, tool holder..." I hope you didn't have to pay much for it.
Mitch

Did not pay much

Phantom71,

I did not pay that much, $135.00 and it was only an hour from my house.

There were only two bolts holding the lathe to the legs and the motor and drive plate fell off when we were loading...

For me this is a good deal, I know nothing about how to run a lathe, but have always wanted to have one to make bushings and pins and such.

This will be a good project and I would like to piece it together and learn something new.

I have spent half of last week and all this weekend on this sight reading and learning new things. That is what gets me out of bed each day!

toolman_ar

The SN puts the build date around April 1939. The serial card won't give you much useful info; save the $25 for tooling and parts. The bed width is standard. You can find parts on ebay or through forum members "penelopepitstop" and "sblatheman".

Back