What's new
What's new

Treadmill motor startup

Darin T.

Aluminum
I picked up a 1 3/4 hp treadmill motor and controller and stuffed it on my 9" SB. Works better than I ever thought, except...every time I stop it, I have to turn the knob right down to idle to get it going again.
Not that this is really bad, annoying to keep turnin the knob at first, but getting used to the idea of it being easy on belts and such.
Are they all like this? I could build a different controller to eliminate the idle start, or should I leave it?

( I posted this in the transf, vfd forum as well)

What you have is a Treadmill controller, this is a safety feature so that if you power up the treadmill it does not go into full tilt if the pot is set for high speed.
I have a mod for one of the older boards to eliminate this, I can see if I can dig it out.
The KB and Baldor controllers are a bit superior for controlling these motors.
M.

Detail?

Interesting.

Do you have any further detail on which KB and Baldor controls work well?

Are there certain models or features to look for?

The mod. I have for the Treadmill controllers to start at any speed is if you have a TDA1085 IC controller and also a T2 T3 transistor, you remove T3 and cut the trace to pin 6 of the TDA1085 and connect this pin to pin 8 (gnd).

Interesting.

Do you have any further detail on which KB and Baldor controls work well?

Are there certain models or features to look for?

If you go to the KB and Baldor sites there is alot of info there http://www.baldor.com/products/dc_controls.asp
If you don't need the enclosure, it is cheaper to buy the chassis model,
for simple one-direction 2 quadrant control the BC141 is the basic model, but you have to reverse the armature leads for opposite direction.
If you want bi-directional with an analogue signal or pot. you need a 4 quadrant which also features regenerative braking.
They also feature tach input for accurate speed control.
You can also get these on ebay from time to time.
M.

Back