What's new
What's new

Lathe rebuild questions.

ChrisVZ

Plastic
Hey all, reposting these questions from the restoration section since someone suggested the people here may have some better insights since my questions are about a South Bend lathe.

I was given an old SB 9" lathe by a co-worker a few weeks ago. It is in need of some work to get it back up to working condition, and I have some questions on how to go about rehabilitating it. It was sitting in his basement since he bought his house several years ago. It appears to have been in working condition before it was left idle. All the research I have done leads me to believe that it was manufactured in the early to mid 40's before the serial # format change.

Questions....
1. Where would I get a rebuild kit for this that includes the proper fluids and felts? I have used some light lubricating oil on the major external components just to get them moving again, but do not want to risk putting the wrong stuff in the bearings and other internal components.
2. It did not include any threading equipment, and it does not look like there ever was any for it. Is there a way to retrofit some onto it? And if there is, are the parts to do it hard to find? If it's not something I can do, I would be willing to just use this machine as a beginners learning tool and maybe upgrade to a new lathe in the future.
3. I have seen where people have used automotive serpentine belts to replace the flat belt from the powered pulleys to the lathe's pulleys. I am thinking I may go this route, but I cannot see how I would get the belt around the pulleys.
4. There is some slop in the control wheels that I would like to remove if possible. Is this something that can be done, or is it a case of having to adapt to account for the play while using it?

The 9" workshop bebuild kit and book sold by Ilion on ebay does not cover this machine. You have a 1925 to 1929 9" Junior, which is a wide bed lathe. This lathe has no capillary oilers in the headstock, and uses very little felt throughout.

What makes you say it has no threading? Looks like it just needs change gears.

Also interesting to me, is that your countershaft housing appears to be the headstock of a much older lathe.

allan

H
3. I have seen where people have used automotive serpentine belts to replace the flat belt from the powered pulleys to the lathe's pulleys. I am thinking I may go this route, but I cannot see how I would get the belt around the pulleys.
4. There is some slop in the control wheels that I would like to remove if possible. Is this something that can be done, or is it a case of having to adapt to account for the play while using it?

3. Take your spindle out, put the belt over it, replace spindle. Repeat for powered pulley.

4. The slop is from a combination of a worn nut and a worn screw. Both can replaced or re-built.

"stevewb" on e-bay is GREAT... get a copy of the book on how to rebuild your lathe- it is WELL worth the money. I used it as a bible for my rebuild(it came with the felts, etc) and still reference it...

Scott

as Allan noted the book and oil packages are a waste on this machine!

They are great for the machines they are intended for but this machine worthless IMO.

Examine the ways to be sure it's a worthwhile candidate- as the bed is the one thing that can't be (economically) repaired if it's too worn.

Is there a "lip" or edge at the top of the V-ways, particularly the outer ones on which the saddle rides? A light one would be expected near the headstock, but if it really hangs up a fingernail then there's an "issue". Doesn't necessarily rule it out depending on how bad the wear is- but can limit accuracy and type of work.

Back