What's new
What's new

Lathe type

simonswb6

Aluminum
This showed up in our local wantads...
Can you tell by looking at it if it is a South Bend?
sb.jpg

might be a leblond regal or hendey. ask the antique section they will know for sure, the hs looks like a leblond to me though. good lathes from what I have read about them, never owned or used one before though

im in the market for a lathe and have been reading many posts about many different brands. I was going to post a question in the general forum, but maybe i can start here...

I was looking for a brand that there would be a lot of parts available if something broke, so i was looking in the south bend or a LeBlond etc.. something at least made in the US.
My criteria is the following
i would like an engine lathe,
gear drive
with the ability to thead shafts. ~42" for the bed.

I started looking for a south bend turnado, but some of these 'Nordics from France' were of very poor quality
then started looking at Servo-Shift LeBlond, but many people said to stay away from those because the electromechanical servo shifting go bad and they are very complicated...

any suggestions as to a good quailty lathe that has a simple gearing system and has a lot of parts available?
looking to spend around $3000

that lathe in your photo is a nice heavy lathe, if you have the power to run it and its a good price..
go take look at it.

It's definitely a Hendey. I did see one for sale here in Pa. for 3500 within the last 6 months. Of course the ad said "good condition".
I don't know about parts availability, though. How about a Clausing? I know they're available for $3K.

Ran its brother today on several jobs. Don't let this one get away, you will not be sorry if you drag it home.

Back