What's new
What's new

Any Interest in "South Bend Saturday"?

Meridian

Cast Iron
Just wondering if there is any interest in attending a " South Bend Saturday" in the Reading Pa area.

It would be an informal meeting of local South Bend Lathe owners at my shop in Mohnton PA (19540).

Basically, if 5 or more people committed to a given date, it would be a go. I'm guessing Saturday is best for all, but other days are OK too. I am planning on moving this year, and will be going from a 2600 ft sq. garage to a 1.5 car garage. I'll have lots of South Bend parts to get rid of to make that happen. Many of these items are too small/minor to be worth listing for sale elsewhere and I'll be happy to give away some minor stuff that will help others restore their machines.
I'll also be happy to give a shop tour, and a lecture on my experiences in the machine tool industry. If any one is interested, I'll even talk about my current career in the Merchant Marine. I would welcome anyone else who is willing to contribute by sharing their knowledge. If anyone has parts or accessories to swap, that would be welcomed too.
We can figure out something for lunch/dinner as well.

Please let me know if interested, and what date would be best.
Next week is rough, due to Cabin Fever Expo. Any other (close) weekend is fine by me.

If you don't own a South Bend, no problemo. I also own a Van Norman Mill, 2 Hardinge Lathes, and lots of other equipment. Just bring your love of Old Iron and you'll fit right in.

If 5 or more people can agree on a date, we're a go.

my email is: davef "at" mermac dot com

My ideal Saturdays would be any of the 3 Saturadays after Cabin Fever Expo. Beyond those, I have to get back to work.

If it works out, maybe someone else can volunteer to host the next meeting. Have car, will travel.
Feel free to CC this to your friends, or post elsewhere.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Good to see (or sea) another one on the forum who gets his feet wet on a regular basis!

I am still not sure if it is the lure of the employer's $$ that makes me go back every 5 weeks (working on the Gorgon Project off Western Australia) or the chance to get away from the mother-in-law for some peace & quiet in an engine room filled with screaming Caterpillars.

Good to see what you are doing, and if I was closer I would pop in. Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers

Skilly

Count me in Dave. I was actually thinking the same thing. Im in Easton - and I can ask my friend Bryan (a member on this forum) who is from the Lehigh Valley. I can also ask Jim B. (owner of the Yahoo South Bend group) since he's in North Jersey. Most Sats are good for me.

I am a beginner in alabama, anything for a 10k that you would want to ship, I am just getting up and running and have minimal tooling, maybe a 4 jaw chuck? wish I was closer...

I'm Jealous and to far away to boot. Given the close proximity to a lot of the South Benders and other old iron folks in your area, I wouldn't be surprised to see you get 20 or more fellows and maybe even gals coming for a visit.

You could turn this into a virtual swap meet. One could bring along a number of small parts/accessories to trade or sell to one another. Kind of like an old car parts meet...

I have a '56 Bird and I have always wanted to go to the Hershey, Pa. swap meet--to a car buff it must be like Mecca.

You folks have a great time. This is what it is all about--

Eric

Dave,
Count me in I'm from Wilmington, De. I am new to the heavy 10 and need parts and have parts to sell or swap.

Steve

I'm Jealous and to far away to boot. Given the close proximity to a lot of the South Benders and other old iron folks in your area, I wouldn't be surprised to see you get 20 or more fellows and maybe even gals coming for a visit.

You could turn this into a virtual swap meet. One could bring along a number of small parts/accessories to trade or sell to one another. Kind of like an old car parts meet...

I have a '56 Bird and I have always wanted to go to the Hershey, Pa. swap meet--to a car buff it must be like Mecca.

You folks have a great time. This is what it is all about--

Eric

If I understand correctly Eric, you are retired... To me, that spells "R.O.A.D. T.R.I.P."

Just sayin...:rolleyes5:

I am interested too

Dave, I am a new SB (1959 13X40)owner and Practical Machinist Member in the Valley Forge area. I am interested in your SB Saturday. Please let me know what date you set and I will RSVP. I sent you a direct email too.

intrest

Hi Dave,
Sounds like a great opportunity. I should be available and would really like to meet you hear about your life as merchant marine. Most importantly, hope to learn something from someone who is willing to share their experience:cheers: in a hobby that I truly love.

The latter the better for me. The last Sat. :cheers:

Danny

I have 6 RSVP's so far, so we are a go for Saturday the 29th. 2pm to 5pm? (I figure if there is interest among those in attendance, we can send out for pizza around 4:30....no need to commit in advance)

At the Cabin Fever Show, I bought a bunch of South Bend Lathe T-shirts from Richard Sabol (who does really nice work).
The first 10 RSVP's to attend will each get a free South Bend Lathe T-Shirt. I had to guess a range of sizes, so size-wise it will be first RSVP'd, first choice. There is only one 2XL available (that was all Richard had available). The rest are XL or LG.

What you can bring if you want to:
-A project you feel like displaying or talking about. If you'd like to volunteer to give a talk about something, let me know and we can make arrangements.

-A broken part that you need to find a replacement for or get advice on repairing.

-Some spare parts or accessories to swap or sell. (For simplicity sake, let's limit this to 2 milk crates full per attendee......I'm not looking to start a flea market on my lawn. Photos of large items for sale are OK too, and certainly preferable to someone bringing the actual large item.

I am working on a webpage for the gathering at:

South Bend Saturday Web Page

Dave -

Here's my R.S.V.P. - I'll be there. I'll also double-check with Bryan (if he's in town) to see if he'll be joining me.

Hope you still have shirts ;)

I will miss the day, sorry

Just got word my wife will not be back from a business conference until mid to late Jan 29 so I am stuck with the kids, they can only take about 5 minites of machine shop stuff!

We are still a go

OK, Looks like we have 7 plus me so far. Today's snow wasn't so bad and the driveway is already clear. I'll be in the shop Saturday no matter what the weather looks like.

I put my address in mapquest, and it spit back this link:
Map of 301 Main St Mohnton, Pennsylvania by MapQuest

If you type in your address, it should get you directions.
Any trouble finding me, call 610-656-0449 (cell)

So Far, we have:
Brad Jacob,
Stevco5
Intrepid
David C.
K3V41
Brian McPeek
Thomas Mitchell

Brad has volunteered to do a demonstration on restoring a rusty handle.

If anyone else wants to do a demonstration of any kind, that would be great.

I have a bunch of hand scrapers and some scrap iron that I can set out if anyone wants to try their hand at scraping.

I will have a serial number reference book available if you want to look up any of your machines (1950 and newer.)

Hope to see you all 2pm this Saturday.

You can RSVP any time before then if you haven't already.

Regards,
Dave

Hope everyone has a great time, and this becomes a recurring event ! Although I now live in Los Angeles, CA, I grew up in Reading, PA, and learned to use South Bend lathes at the Reading-Berks Vo-Tech School in the late 70s, attending evening 'adult education' classes there with my late father, even tho' I was just a high school kid at the time (most fortunate for me, the instructor didn't mind me attending with the adults). My brother and his family still live in the Reading area -- so later in the year it might be possible for me drop in on a future "South Bend Saturday" event in conjunction with a future visit with family.

Best wishes for a fun afternoon !

-- Jim

(New member here -- just earlier this week acquired a 1940-vintage 10-inch x 3-foot bed Toolroom lathe to add to my garage clutter -- Er, garage workshop, I mean. Will start a thread with pictures soon, to solicit comments + advice from others in this forum ...).

Last edited:
I have been eye-balling this post since the Cabin Fever Expo. Unfortunately it won't be a good weekend for me. Toooooo much to do around the house since getting married and combining two households :)

I am bummed that I won't get to meet all you fellas, but it sounds like you will have a great time. If anyone wants to get together again in our area (I am about an hour south of Harrisburg in Western MD) I'd definitely be hip!

Safe travels to all of you. I am still watching the snow come down from my office window here!

Cheers,

Chris

Would it be too late for me to come? I will make time to go tomorrow and I can bring my old skinner chuck too.... 2 birds 1 stone...lol

Back