What's new
What's new

Light 10 - What do you think?

brassmagnet

Aluminum
Considering this Light 10 - What do you think?

as some of you already know, I'm new here, and looking to get into a SB lathe. I am seriously considering this one, but it has a couple of issues I'd like advice on. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think? Looks like a Light 10 (xxxKKR) with minimal tooling included (Description: 9" x 34" Rated Capacity, 9-15/16" Swing Over Ways, 6-1/4" Swing Over Cross Slide, 34" Maximum Distance Between Centers, 27/32" (.84) Hole Thru Spindle, 6-Spindle Speeds, Will Cut 48-Standard Pitch Threads, 5/8" Maximum Collet Capacity, 5" 4-Jaw Chuck, 4" 3-Jaw Chuck, Tailstock, 6K Collet Draw Bar Closer, (10) Assorted 6K Collets, Cabinet Base, Single Phase Motor and Controls), but it has my interest at $1050.00 ish to my door, if my offer is accepted. Thanks - I appreciate any input.

7.jpg
8.jpg

Last edited:
South Bend light 10

Don't let it get away! I am new here too, but not new to machining. I have a 9X36 model A of 1946 vintage that has given me many years of enjoyment. As to the issues you pointed out, they don't amount to much. The dings can be lightly stoned with a very fine stone, if needed. That is a very nice looking machine, and at a very good price. I installed a 1/2 hp Baldor DC motor and controller on mine, making it variable speed, built a taper attachment, cut a 70 tooth gear to use in place of the 56 tooth gear on the quick change which lets me cut 15 tpi, 27 tpi, 30 tpi, and many others. Also made a set of metric transposing gears, but I talk too much I guess. Good luck, have fun.

lathe

the spot under the chuck looks like a big ding or a rust spot can't see it very good.
any better photos..? have you seen the lathe or just photos.

cut a 70 tooth gear to use in place of the 56 tooth gear on the quick change which lets me cut 15 tpi, 27 tpi, 30 tpi, and many others.

Note: Knowing how to Cut a gear Is great, but you could've done the same thing with a 42 toothed gear.
position C,2, = 27 TPI.
position B,3 = 15 TPI.
position B,4 = 30 TPI.

Just a little Tip, Position C,8 On the gear chart equals the screwed gear.
All other calculations are easy to do from there.

Hope this helps someone.

promacjoe

the spot under the chuck looks like a big ding or a rust spot can't see it very good.
any better photos..? have you seen the lathe or just photos.

This appears to be a VOID in the casting or where they (South Bend) removed some material to fit the headstock. I believe my bed is like that as well.

The ding is OK. Just make sure to knock down (with a stone) any high spots. That shouldn't effect the movement of the saddle.

I've just seen pictures so far. I should know by tomorrow if I'm supposed to get this lathe - it looks good enough that I'm not too concerned, and the price is right if I pull it off.

I zoomed in on the area beneath the headstock and it looks like no material is gone - probably just a stain or rust spot cleaned up. Way condition is of some concern, but I guess starting out you just gotta live with some stuff. Thanks for the advice and input.

I looked at craigslist in wisconsin. You've got lots of other choices. Don't let some other good lathe pass you by just because of the name.

allan

I looked at craigslist in wisconsin. You've got lots of other choices. Don't let some other good lathe pass you by just because of the name.

allan

Yeah - I've looked at some of them, but my heart was set on a SB. As it turns out, I committed on one earlier this evening - 187RN Heavy 10. Should pick it up by weeks end. Here's a pic. Looks like a pretty nice deal, with lots of tooling....3 & 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, 3 sets of dogs, some clamps, live center and reg. center, drill chuck, QX tool post,3 carbide bits, knurler, S-rest, telescoping C-rest, and the ways look like new! Wired 110, and a nice metal cabinet/stand with chip tray. I'm happy with the deal - under $2K delivered.

My search is finally over :D

pic1.jpg

Back