Logan Lathe Ball Turner - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK. I got the drawings finalized tonight and I experimented with the PDF file transfer. The outcome was that the numbers came out too blurry to be of any use.

I have (3) 8.5 x 11" color pages; page 1 is the overall drawing, page 2 is the right half enlarged, and page 3 is the left half enlarged.

If you want a drawing set, PM me with the address (USA only please) you want it sent to and I will mail it free to you. Originally I had planned on posting my address and having you send SASE, but I'm not comfortable sharing my address with the whole internet community. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike, Maybe you can take a digital pic of your drawing and make a jpg, i do that all the time...Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,

If you've access to a scanner, you can scan each page at high resolution and create the digital pics that way. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, really stout radius movement tool holder. Makes far more sense to pivot the tool at the pivot than to hang the tool way out front. Very nice... JRouche

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I post drawings alot, one of the easiest ways to do so is make a (gif) from the cad drawing, most CAD systems have the ability to save-as a graphics file (gif) you can usually also save it as a windows metafile, which will open up in MS paint. You can also use the copy function and tell it to copy using rastor, then paste it to the MS paint window.
    Good luck!!!
    Oh very nice ball and radius turner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stayed up way too late tonight and sucessfully converted the drawings to JPEGs. They looked good and were very readable. This morning I placed them into photobucket and pasted the links into a post. Fortunately I tried the link in a preview and printed one before I finished the post. The printout was unuseable. I will try emailing them to my work email to see if they open better. If it works, I'll email them directly. If this doesn't work, I'll try the GIF plan mcruff suggested.

If all else fails, I have the addresses sent so far and will start the mailing. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,
    That is one beautiful radius turner. Please add my name to your ever growing list.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I emailed JPEG files to two different PM board members that also supplied their email addresses with their P.O. boxes this afternoon but have yet to hear back from them to see if they could retrieve usable files. The files I sent myself here at work printed out fine. Just in case, I made 10 packets up for mailing.

The photobucket thing didn't work and I don't understand why unless it had somthing to do with automatic resizing.

If you'd rather try the JPEG, send me your direct email address. Some have their contact inforestricted in their profiles, plus, I cannot attach a file through the PM message setup. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your graphics program will allow you to drop the color count to two (Black & White) and save the drawings as bitmap (bmp) files you will be surprised at the small file size and excellent printability. Anyone can open the files in MS Paint or any other graphic program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What Cad system did you use to draw it.
    Maybe you could email the drawing to me in dxf or iges format and I can post the drawings after converting them. This should work:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man this drawing thing has turned into more work than the original project! But on the other hand, I got to learn more about my scanner. I got a response from Verne, The JPEGs are apparently OK. I recieved a few more PMs with email addresses so those will go out early in the morning. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holescreek: Please E-Mail my youy drawings. [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sent out 9 emailed copies a few minutes ago to everyone who had included their email address in their PM. Let me know if there were any problems I need to work around.

There are a couple of members that didn't include email addresses, If I don't hear from you in a couple of days, I'll PM you. Have Fun! -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,

Mine came thru Loud and Clear!!! I bounced it around some formats and all worked equally well.

Another Job Well Done! As one poster here puts it; Honor and Respect!! Not to mention THANKS!!!

Take Care, Ken

PS What's the next project???

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ken,

I'm not sure what the next project will be yet, but I have all summer to think about it. I spend summers split evenly between art-welding projects, HSM stuff, and yard work.

I did discover that my old Cushman 3-jaw chuck is a total POS on this project, and I am considering a Bison 1 1/2-8 direct mount replacement. I've been kicking myself since February for not buying it from Enco when it was 20 dollars cheaper. Have you discovered that no matter how much stuff you've got that there's always somthing else you need? -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am always looking at lathe chucks even though i have 4 of them. LOL. and a collet chuck. But i find myself wanting more. Sometimes i will start a project or two and if something else comes up or someone walks in my shop and wants something made i just unscrew the chuck and screw on another one and go at it. I want an 8" 4 jaw now...Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,
    I put a Bison on my lathe this year and have been really pleased. I used a seperate backplate though, it was already threaded. I am VERY pleased with the results. Enco usually has them on sale with free shipping every month or so.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holescreek,
    I received your email and the drawings came out great! Many thanks for sharing them with us and for the additional work & time it took to compile them.
    -Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I kind of hate to dig out my own post but there has been somewhat of a resurgance of individuals requesting drawings. I have sent out over 30 copies to date and have received at least a few very good questions. For the benefit of some who may actually make one (hopefully an improved version) I wanted to post the questions and the best answers I could make up. -Mike

"A few other questions about the design. How much clearance does the mounting of the taper roller bearing leave between the two halves of the tool? Also, how is the preload on the bearing set. I see the screw into the center of the bottom piece, but what prevents the screw from working loose when the unit is rotated?"

My ACAD drawing shows .045" clearance between upper and lower halves. I tried to keep it close for two reasons; first is overall height because the tool tip mst end up on centerline of the head, and two, because this was my only attempt or prototype, I wanted to make sure that if there was any rocking action as a result ot the bearing shifting at all, I wanted the two halves to be able to "meet" if necessary. As it turns out, the bearing is very rigid. As far as preload, my original intent was to bottom tap the threads of the bottom half and set preload when I ground the underside of the button head screw. As it turned out, I tapped all the way through. I used an endmill to make sure that the counterbore on the top half was flat, and spin ground the underside of the screw flange. It seems that the tool pressure pushing down on the bearing keeps everything in line, the screw just keeps the top half from lifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holescreek,
    Any chance you could post your radius cutter plans to me?
    Regards,
    David