What's new
What's new

Looking for 9 in. Model C back gear set

Robby in Mi.

Plastic
This is my 1st post and it isn’t even for me.

A good friend of mine (Burt - who hasn’t yet moved into the computer age) recently bought, at a estate rummage sale, a Model C, 12 speed, South Bend Lathe.

After some searching on the net. I discovered that South Bend has been sold to LeBlond Ltd..

Burt has been able to order manuals from them and discovered he has a lathe built in March, 1937. He also found to his dismay, that this lathe needed a set of back gears to run properly.

He now is trying to locate the gears at a price that is something less than the price of a good used lathe. As a retired Machinist – Toolmaker, I have checked out this lightly used lathe and found it to be in surprisingly good shape. The lathe shows very few signs of use or any abuse.

If these gears can be located this would be a excellent lathe for his needs.

The gear set (As listed in the parts manual) is AS32NK1.

. . . . . The individual gears are –
PT 32 K 16 NK1 . . PT 32 K 44 NK1 . . PT 32 K 56 NK1
PT 32 K 24 NK1 . . PT 32 K 46 NK1 . . PT 32 K 60 NK1
PT 32 K 32 NK1 . . PT 32 K 48 NK1 . . PT 32 K 80 NK1
PT 32 K 36 NK1 . . PT 32 K 52 NK1
PT 32 K 40 NK1 . . PT 32 K 54 NK1

Please Post any information you can offer and I’ll pass it along to Burt. If you would like to talk with Burt, I’ll pass his phone number along, but I don’t want to put it in a Posting for all to see.

Thank You,
Roger

I am not familar with SB, are you perhaps asking for change gears instead of backgears? If so I think there is a guy who posts on the general forum that makes a set for sale. James

I have learned more about the SB lathe Burt owns.
The gears he needs are in fact "Change Gears" not back gears as listed earlier. I attempted to change the first Post but was not allowed to.

The numbers I listed are in fact correct for the Change Gears needed. The factory set comes with nuts, washers and other items needed but the cost for this complete set is higher than a complete used lathe would be if bought from Lablond.

Thanks, Roger

Roger,
Have Burt look at these, (ebay auction), they sound pretty good by the description and a bidding war hasn't started yet.
Ed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7504570111&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Back