What's new
What's new

Looking to put a variable speed control on my 1947 heavy 10R

Red1fire

Aluminum
Hello all Im looking to put a vsc on My heavy 10 Im running a 110v Baldor. All the speed controls im finding on ebay convert stuff to DC is that ok for this motor???

The motor you have can't be converted to variable speed. The best way to go is to switch to replace you single phase motor with a 3 phase one, and then use a variable frequency drive (VFD) to control the speed. You could also get a DC motor with a controller, but it will probably cost at least as much and not perform as well. Hitachi VFDs are popular here.

Jon

Shop around for a 3/4 or 1hp Baldor 3 phase motor with the appropriate size output shaft. Then buy a 1hp 110 input Teco JNEV series VFD. Fit the motor, wire up the VFD, enjoy! If you want more useability, spend some money on a control box with start, stop, fwd/rvs and speed controls.

Motor- $50-100
VFD- $150
Buttons/enclosure- $150-250

So VFD will plug into a 110v socket?

Only if you buy a 110VAC input type. Otherwise it might be 220V but they are all single phase input (this their value). I believe the 110VAC input type typically only go up to 1HP and I know the Teco is probably the more common of them. The FM50 is a cheaper TECO than the JNEV series but not worth it in my opinion because it doesn't allow for digital inputs (simple on/off buttons).

Also- the JNEV is being replaced by a newer version of the JNEV with a different name, which escapes me right now. When I reviewed the differences, the main difference seemed to be that the 110v input and 3ph output are both on the top now versus top and bottom, respectively. Not really a big deal.

Back