What's new
What's new

Looking for South Bend 10L Info

engineerpower

Plastic
Good evening, All!

I'd like to see if anyone can shed some light on my lathe. I saved a South Bend 10L lathe from a local "reseller" who had it sitting outside in the weather on a trailer for several days. I'd been hunting for a lathe on craigslist for a couple weeks, and just happened to see it on the roadside as I was driving my son home from the hardware store. Figured it was fate, and bought it for $700 delivered to my garage door (3 miles down the road). For that money, I got the lathe, 6" 3-jaw South Bend chuck, the tailstock, a collet set, a lever-style collet drawbar, a live center, 2 dead centers, a lantern-style tool post, a drill chuck, a faceplate, and some lathe dogs.

I'd spent a lot of time in the machine shop at school, but it'd been awhile since I'd made chips (life comes at you fast), so I took it slow and taught myself as I went. The paint was old and scarred, and the internals were of unknown condition, so I tore it down to individual pieces. My restoration included a detail cleaning of individual parts, polishing of relevant surfaces, repainting, new felts, new lube, and reassembly. She's a wonderful machine and I don't get enough quality time with her.

So, here's where I'm looking for info. I've done lots of web and forum searching to no avail.

1. There's no serial anywhere. All I can find is the code on the bed for the flame hardening, and it's totally bare where the SN should be. I've read that unserialized machines were used in the SB shop; is that what I have here?

2. I'm trying to date her, but am guessing at 60's-70's. The dealer closed up shop so I can't call for records, and I don't have the serial to ask Grizzly. Any insight based on the style?

3. The spindle cone only has 2 steps, and I haven't seen this on any other 10L. Is this unusual or an option?

4. On the bed, there's a small plate riveted on that says "2564'E" that I can't find any meaning for. What's that all about?

Thanks to any and all that can add their input!

Here are the pics. Every surface was redone by me, just sorry I didn't take more "before" pics!

I have never seen a variable speed 10L before. The number and tag looks like the asset numbers that SBL used on the machines in the factory. It must have been before I started working there(1974).
Where in Indiana are you??
Ted

I have never seen a variable speed 10L before.

The under-mounted motor arrangement doesn't look like what I would expect a factory arrangement to look like, more shop-made. The constituent parts are welded and cut fine, but there's no finishing to any of it and I believe there are a couple scribe lines to be seen.

The variable part is Model 508-000 from Speed Selector Inc. I was able to find their sales info, but I somehow doubt this was a factory option.

The number and tag looks like the asset numbers that SBL used on the machines in the factory. It must have been before I started working there(1974).

So that jives with my 60's-70's SB-used theory. That's cool, I think the only other origin that would be cooler is if it had a war service tag.

I'm in Boone County, 1hr NW of Indy. Seems like a machine desert here, just giants and tabletops.

I read the thread about the demolition of the South Bend facility; a damned shame to see what was once our national strength become only a memory.

Turns out I managed to dig up a couple pics from "before". The ways are in pretty good shape, so I don't think it was abused, just not shined up too much. Those are my shop princesses dancing and running my lathe...

Turns out I managed to dig up a couple pics from "before". The ways are in pretty good shape, so I don't think it was abused, just not shined up too much. Those are my shop princesses dancing and running my lathe...

You make it awfully hard to decide what is prettier, but I will have to go with the girls. Machines can always be replaced. What you show in these pictures can never be replaced.

Lathe looks like and engineering prototype. What is the cutout in the back of the gear cover? Looks like clearance for a motor.

Tom

You make it awfully hard to decide what is prettier, but I will have to go with the girls. Machines can always be replaced. What you show in these pictures can never be replaced.

Thanks, I'm pretty fond of them myself. :)

What is the cutout in the back of the gear cover? Looks like clearance for a motor.

I've often wondered that myself, with the exposed gears and all. No idea why it was cut out, there was nothing back there when I bought it, and I don't see any mounts or anything.

Is that a DC motor then? or what does the handle adjust next to the RPM gauge.

It's a 220V 3-phase motor running off of my VFD. The handle adjusts the pulley ratio of the Model 508-000 from Speed Selector Inc. Turning the handle reduces or increases the effective size of the drive pulley on the motor's shaft, which changes the speed of the spindle. The tachometer is attached to the next shaft up, and give the speed of that shaft rather than the spindle. I'll measure the diameter there and the spindle cone sometime to figure out what the conversion factor is, but I may just mod a bike tach or something to the spindle itself. I plan on doing that with my Index mill, so I'll carry that over when I get it figured out.

No, I haven't contacted South Bend/Grizzly yet. Figured they wouldn't be able to help much without a serial.

The bed revision codes puts the bed between april of 55 and dec of 57, the 200 X braced beds were being introduced after that date, but it still might be possible to see a 107R bed up untill oct of 67 when the X braced bed was made a standard feature with bed revision 201R. Very interesting drive. I'm 45 miles east of Indy :)

Steve Wells

Back