What's new
What's new

Looking for South Bend Project #68.5 "A Slide Rest for the 8-Inch Bench Lathe"

GB Ward

Plastic
Looking for South Bend Project #68.5 "A Slide Rest for the 8-Inch Bench Lathe"

Hi all. This is my first post at practical machinist. Thanks for having me!

My father owned a machine shop when I was young, and now that I'm grown I'd like to have my own lathe. I make a lot of small parts for pinball machines and I've been doing it all on the drill press. :skep: Eventually I'd like to make the lathe described in "How to make a 8-inch bench lathe in the school shop," but for now I am making a small no-frills lathe. I am looking for the Slide Rest plans (as described in South Bend Machine Shop Course and How to make an 8-inch Lathe) as they will help me with both projects. I have spent hours looking all over the internet and all the sticky's in this forum. I did not sign up for all the yahoo groups. I was wondering if someone knew of this drawing somewhere, either in downloadable or book form.

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to being a part of this forum.
-GB

I spent a lot of time in my youth messing with worn out, missing part machines. Made far less chips than if I had bit the bullet and got something that worked from the get go. It will be cheaper in the long run to just get a working lathe (SB 9 inchers are plentiful). Unless the exercise is to build your own lathe for pure enjoyment.

But if you'd rather be making a lot of small parts for pinball machines, get a working lathe.

My two cents worth from a guy STILL rebuilding junk machines, but starting to do more work on the things I want to be making...

John

PS: If you were in Los Angeles instead of Arkansas, I have an SB 8 inch Junior surplus to my needs...

Back