What's new
What's new

LookiSB 9 taper attachment

Glenn Brooks

Aluminum
Hi, I have a nice SB 9, circa 1925 model in excellent condition. It's been in storage for 60 years and needs to be cleaned up, but has very little wear.

Anybody know where I can find a taper attachment to fit this early model lathe?

Second Q: would a post war SB 9 taper attachment work on this early model lathe? I've read these early day SB 9's had different beds than latter models, hence completely different dimensions for many of the parts.

Thanks
Glenn B.

It will be expensive. You will need a whole new cross-slide assembly. It is not plug and play. These where fitted to each machine at factory. A late model or post ww version will not work. Entirely custom endeavor without proper or matched cross-slide. In that sense, the bed definitely matters. 1925 is a wide bed . Best bet would be to find a lathe that has a taper attachment installed.

My 1927 9 Jr saddle is not drilled for a taper attachment, but the general arrangement of the mounting surface looks the same as my 10L. The latter has ~4.75" centers on the mounting holes, and the crossfeed screw is approximately centered. Assuming your 9 is similar to mine, I think you could adapt a 10L taper attachment. The complexity would be in the cross-feed screw itself. The 10L uses a telescoping leadscrew, but the Series O lathes did not. I don't know if there is enough diameter or length in the crossfeed gear to allow that on the older lathes. You might have to switch to disconnecting the crossfeed nut instead.

allan

Scan from 1933. To get any of these to work in the Series O days, you undid the hex head bolt just this side of compound, which disconnected cross slide from cross slide screw/nut. Note setting of compound rest is suggestive of its use to set depth of cut when the cross slide screw is disabled

Here is one of the most comprehensive of the How To Run A Lathe, from 1927. T/A instructions are on pdf page 83

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - How to Run a Lathe #27 | VintageMachinery.org

Attachments

• SB 1933 TA.jpg
    SB 1933 TA.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 870
Thanks for the link to the SB How to Run a Lathe #27. Best example of that vintage book I've seen. I have the same copy, but it laid in a box for 60 years and is mostly indecipherable, pages fused together etc...

I'll go look at the cross feed screw and see what I have. But initially from comments above looks like a non starter. Maybe easier to mount a boring head in the tailstock for setting offsets. My main interest is making a bunch of collets in sizes not readily available for some old tools. So,precision matters, but not the length of the taper so much.

Thanks for the info!

Glenn

Back