What's new
What's new

Lubricant for between back gear and spindle?

Domodude17

Aluminum
I bought a SB9A and cleaned it up a while ago before winter and it's low temperatures set in. I followed the restoration guide book you can get on Ebay. In it, it said to use grease between the back gear and the spindle-the two shafts would be spinning at different speeds when the back gear is being used. I put some grease in there and didn't think anything of it, until I recall seeing some discussion on this a few weeks ago where people were saying that they used grease, and had the back gear seize in the spindle.

Should I take this apart to remove the grease and replace it with oil, or is it likely fine?

Thanks

I bought a SB9A and cleaned it up a while ago before winter and it's low temperatures set in. I followed the restoration guide book you can get on Ebay. In it, it said to use grease between the back gear and the spindle-the two shafts would be spinning at different speeds when the back gear is being used. I put some grease in there and didn't think anything of it, until I recall seeing some discussion on this a few weeks ago where people were saying that they used grease, and had the back gear seize in the spindle.

Should I take this apart to remove the grease and replace it with oil, or is it likely fine?

Thanks

can of spray grease is often used on gears. if thick lubricant could be a problem i use a can of non residue electrical contact cleaner. basically a spray solvent used for cleaning and letting the thick goo to drip off. used on tight drill chucks that got tapping fluid in them.
contact cleaner basically a spray solvent and within minutes evaporates leaving nothing from the cleaner solvent. its used of tight micrometers and indicators that got coolant in them. watch out though it might damage rubber o rings as any solvent can often damage rubber and plastic for example clear plastic fogging up cause of solvent cleaner

Thanks

I have two South Bend lathes. On my older one (1935) it has "Oil" stamped on the two locations in question. I use oil in that one. On my newer one (1971) it has "Grease" stamped on that. I refurbished this one's back gears and it had old grease in there which I totally cleaned out. I used "Super Lube" grease on this newer one like the book suggests and the stamping and tags on the lathe states.

The way I look at it, if it is stamped oil it is designed for oil (with it's internal clearances and cavities) and therefore I'll use oil. If stamped grease, the same applies and I'll use grease.

I've read of others doing differently and that's fine, but this is how I chose to ride.

Ted

I had a problem with seizing when I used grease, even though my lathe is marked "grease". If you use grease it's important to use the correct type - others have mentioned which type it is. In my case I flushed the grease out and have used oil ever since with no problems, oiling the port every time I use back gear. Oil completely fixed the seizing problem.

I had a problem with seizing when I used grease, even though my lathe is marked "grease". If you use grease it's important to use the correct type - others have mentioned which type it is. In my case I flushed the grease out and have used oil ever since with no problems, oiling the port every time I use back gear. Oil completely fixed the seizing problem.

How did you flush the grease out? I wouldn't mind going to oil now (since mine is labeled oil) but it would certainly be nice to not have to remove the spindle from the headstock again if at all possible!

I am curious for people who have used grease, did you fill the entire cavity with grease ? I mean keep pumping till it came out between spindle thrust bearings, or what was your particular process ? I would guess centrifugal force would want to carry the grease or oil away from shaft and into pulley cone, unless packed full.

I've used grease on back gear shaft, as well as for the spindle pulley cone. If I think I'm going to be running extended times I pump them till I get grease to begin to ooze out the end, then start the job.

How did you flush the grease out? I wouldn't mind going to oil now (since mine is labeled oil) but it would certainly be nice to not have to remove the spindle from the headstock again if at all possible!

Not sure about your 9 but on my 13 you can remove the shaft that goes through the back gear set by removing the two square headed set screws that set the eccentric and friction for locking the back gear in. Then, the back gear set will lift right out.

Ted

I am curious for people who have used grease, did you fill the entire cavity with grease ? I mean keep pumping till it came out between spindle thrust bearings, or what was your particular process ? I would guess centrifugal force would want to carry the grease or oil away from shaft and into pulley cone, unless packed full.

I've used grease on back gear shaft, as well as for the spindle pulley cone. If I think I'm going to be running extended times I pump them till I get grease to begin to ooze out the end, then start the job.

The rebuild book I have says not to pump so much in that it comes out the end. This is usually an issue if you use a grease gun and zert fitting because of the high pressure. I use Super lube that I got in a 14 oz tube (MUCH cheaper this way) but I fill up a large syringe I have (without the needle) and lightly pump it in that way using not fitting, just sticking it on the hole and pushing the plunger. When it seems fairly full, stop.

YMMV,
Ted

I made a fitting that screws into the oil port in the cone pulley. Then I attached a rubber hose to it that fits one of my oil can spouts and forced oil through it by pumping the oil can handle. I used spindle oil, but I think something like kerosene might work better. It did take quite a bit of work to finally flush all the grease out, but still easier than removing the spindle. BTW I do use grease in the back gear shaft with no problems.

You could flush it out or do the easier thing and just add oil as needed. The oil will thin and dilute the grease pretty quickly until it is mostly oil. That is the route I would take.

You could flush it out or do the easier thing and just add oil as needed. The oil will thin and dilute the grease pretty quickly until it is mostly oil. That is the route I would take.

You know, that's an idea - I was worried about the seizing so decided to take aggressive action. If you don't yet have a seize situation, this might be the way to go.

I used silicone grease in mine. Not actual SuperLube, but a Napa-branded version of the same thing. I didn't fill the whole thing up either, just gave the bearing surfaces a good heavy smear along with a generous wipe on the spindle itself. Seems to be fine. If it gets stupid on me, I'll just pull the spindle, take the gear off, and flush it completely. It makes enough of a mess on it's own, I don't really want to go filling that cavity with oil to try and flush the grease out in place.

Super Lube in mine.
I don't frequently run over 1k rpm's, but if I do for an extended period some does find its way out; I just clean it up and inject a bit more.

Back