What's new
What's new

Making A Vise Yoke & Conical Washer

bradjacob

Titanium
Hey guys -

I had been given a machinist vise that was missing it's conical washer and clamping-yoke. Made both on the South Bend 13.

Turned the radius by moving the compound in various angles to remove the most material. Then, I filed the final contour. Drilled the though hole and parted it off.

Next, was the yoke. Turned to diameter, then drilled/tapped for the clamping screw. To give it a stylish touch, I mounted it in the spindxer and milled two flats 180* apart. To complete it, I turned a radius and filed to final contour.

Here is a video that shows the process. Hope you like it.

http://youtu.be/DAt8Zf--PDM?list=UUuFJaKZoZDKB-aC7o8Zk-dg

Nice video Brad! Watched it at work with no volume, then again at home to hear what you were saying!

Love to see things being made on the old Southbends!

I could use that little vise and I might even go buy one. I keep a couple of cheap old vises chucked up in my four jaws for some cross thread machining and I can see where that little guy would save me a lot of time. I would change that allen screw lock to a knurled knob though and I think it would be a perfect unit for the cross drilling I do. Check out this cross threading video.... http://youtu.be/k8C9-qAB0sw I would love to have that little vise with a knurled knob to lock it down to do this. The $30 vises I use don't last, and that little guy looks robust enough to last for a long long time!!!

I Hope you don't mind this comment but I would really be pissed if I had chips coming of my lathe like those 4 foot long hot spirals you had. Grind a chip breaker on that tool! I like my turnings coming off as little 1/8 inch chunks that I can scoop out and put in a coffee can! I would never tolerate chips like you were getting.

I run my lathe hard so I have a coolant set up on it, you should consider one too if you are doing a lot of machining. Once you have a coolant system, you will never run anything without it! Lathe or mill, I don't feel right if I don't have coolant on the tool.

Regards,

Fohman

Back