What's new
What's new

metric SB question(s)

jwcolby

Aluminum
Hello all,

I recently acquired this 10" (25.4cm?) lathe, but I can't seem to find any information about it. Is this a full metric SB lathe? I attached a picture of the front and back of the serial card. I also included pics of the quick change box compared to one on a 10R. The metric box is backwards to the standard box! And Spanish is all over this thing! What part of the serial number, catalog number, etc. represents metric? Are the compound and cross slide metric pitch as well? Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jeremy
[email protected]

metric SB card.jpgIMG_6527.jpgIMG_6526.jpg

I'm not sure from your message which is yours or which is not.

2nd pic is an inch lathe, that's why it says "inch threads".

The 3rd pic is that of a metric lathe, that's why it says "Pitches in mm".

This is going off the plates, to really know you would need to count the teeth on the gears. Should be a 127/52 gear if it's metric, AFAIK.

That is a metric gearbox. If the whole lathe was built as a metric machine, it would have metric screws (CF, Compound, and leadscrew)dials to match.
Tailstock would have Metric grads on the spindle.

Ted

Interesting gearbox. Looks like they took the standard one and basically reversed the lever setup.

I'm not sure from your message which is yours or which is not.

2nd pic is an inch lathe, that's why it says "inch threads".

The 3rd pic is that of a metric lathe, that's why it says "Pitches in mm".

This is going off the plates, to really know you would need to count the teeth on the gears. Should be a 127/52 gear if it's metric, AFAIK.

If it is an all metric lathe from the factory, it will have a metric lead screw and won't have a transposing gear; also, the thread dial will look weird: with tick marks for metric pitches, not the 1,2,3,4 and half-marks normally seen.

If it is metric, you will need a transposing gear to do inch threading. Kind of the same issues as doing metric on an inch lathe only in reverse.

Here is a thread dial from a SB13 metric for comparison:

RzfyDt0wApdLVrcGSwBa45Cdc9EBQK-sJyTHd68skHvxjT8i8G19GeAXvJvbBWwDYR8pipCg1KBNvx-QDFxFOnJXApH-S9b9Qx_2U027M2VibkAWqhEuhqIvuyn0Ztt-6DmJ1ZQQRbax_nyBty_sLwnxbNNwOfRT5MbZBz2ETDsQ-V9HMy6Hpo3eOxRPF4Vr-A_P4wfP2hwY5mHF-1kmTgN7LRJ6CBDnjfVa32BVZh75tqfkBVezIildCTpX09M45bNgl2puA2M9Yz763-BKYN7Sxyrn8IKqHb3yb2gtIEBgvCBCBF_XmGPyV-mZBNTSS6AP1wSd2HjnS8cPeHlgJFWToa4fJYTkGCKbKCnZAhiPdL_QB1m2L9GU4hiYhA81Cmk5XjYv_r04mNBlMRR5fz8Dd-4cvOmyXYdJkzkB58EkMx1ifi6nG0luXmlqyzJUM20gpsP2hEyz5w-z21R8tq-2P5HVhfi1al-CF1xwNCg583yFtKk0AF9s8_j04mdVAglAPI1auKhpiruz4PejduToEQ5XBIOVXEkWP8E7_eY7mVI0Mm7CzOTskkNADdglRsrx2336VnAdnbVCZenGSWyeQ12YX0IcIV18zoZ2PHjKNC-yZ4deYw=w1024

Interesting gearbox. Looks like they took the standard one and basically reversed the lever setup.

Yes, given how the metric thread series progresses, (it is a reciprocal vs imperial threads) the cone gears have to come before the compound gears. The most interesting lathe for that is the Cinci tray top- they have an auxiliary gear and shaft to insert into their gearbox, which sends power through the box backwards, and takes output from the other side. This removes the need for so many stud gears when turning metric threads.

allan

Back