What's new
What's new

Metric threading on a Single tumbler Heavy 10

Erich

Hot Rolled
I have a 1943 toolroom Heavy 10.
It is equipped with the large end cover with a plate describing which gears are required to cut which metric gears.
I have no extra loose gears.
Also the banjo on my lathe is just a straight piece. I have seen pictures of other banjos that are Y shaped. But those pics were from a later lathe with the double tumbler gear box.

So What am I missing or what is the wrong part for my lathe.

I have a copy of the lathe index card from SB it says the "Transp. ATT" should be code 534.

Think this means the lathe is supposed to be equipped with the metric gears.

Lathe was also equipped with the coolant pump. Except for a drain screen in the chip pan and some seals between the headstock and bed, there is nothing left of that either.

I had a single tumbler heavy10 with metric gears .
The chip pan had clearance for the big gear .
There was a different banjo and a stack of gears .
The banjo I bought from SBLatheman Ted here .
The gears you can figure out from the tag .
Tools4cheap used to sell the gears .

My 1950 edition of HTRAL shows the chart, lists the special gears involved (many) to cut 33 differing metric threads, and involves the double arm banjo

Does not specify if for Heavy 10 but does show the single tumbler gear box

I have a 1943 toolroom Heavy 10.
It is equipped with the large end cover with a plate describing which gears are required to cut which metric gears.
I have no extra loose gears.
Also the banjo on my lathe is just a straight piece. I have seen pictures of other banjos that are Y shaped. But those pics were from a later lathe with the double tumbler gear box.

So What am I missing or what is the wrong part for my lathe.

I have a copy of the lathe index card from SB it says the "Transp. ATT" should be code 534.

Think this means the lathe is supposed to be equipped with the metric gears.

Lathe was also equipped with the coolant pump. Except for a drain screen in the chip pan and some seals between the headstock and bed, there is nothing left of that either.
I have the parts you need :D
Send me n email with what you have and a picture of your machine in the area of the end gears. I'd like to see the bench mods.
I won't be able to do anything until Monday.
Ted
[email protected]

Back