What's new
What's new

Micrometer carraige stop question

jczcpa

Plastic
Would a micrometer carraige stop from a 9" workshop lathe, circa 1936 work on a 1942 13"?

Please let me know.

Zimm

I just recently found out that a micrometer carriage stop from a 1941 heavy 10 will work on a 1952 13" SB .
I was surprised to find that it reaches about 1/8" beyond center of the contact pad on the saddle , correct height , and good contact .
I had a dial indicator holder that was on a 1939 9C , and it did not fit the heavy 10 .
So heavy 9 , heavy 10 and 13 should work , but I doubt the narrow bed workshop 9 stop would transfer to a 13 , and line up correctly .

I have both lathes and the carriage stops are very different.The one for the 13 does also fit the heavy 10.It has a casting number like XXXXRT the R and the T stand for 10 and 13" lathes.

The casting number on mine is 1200RT3.That is on the body of the stop.The shoe has no number visible,but the shoe for the 10" has a rabbet milled across its end.The one for the 13 does not.My 13 is from 1943.If you can only get a 10" stop,you can just make a steel shoe for it,and it will be perfect.The rabbett is there to clear the rack gear of the 10" machine,so it will even work on the 13 as is.
The little stop from the workshop lathe does fit on my 13" Regal (LeBlond) using a steel shoe that clears its rack gear.The regal does not have the raised surface for the carriage stop so that end is not an issue.It looks kind of lost on there,but works ok>

Back