What's new
What's new

Milling attachment offset base for SB9a

Sarpen

Plastic
Hi guys I was thinking on picking up or machining an offset base for my milling attachment. I have had the attachment since I got the lathe and it is like brand new as it has never been used. If I need to mill anything its just way easier to do it at work on a Bridgeport. Just thought it may be a worthwhile accessory for the 1943 model lathe. So my question is is it worth the effort for those of you who have done some milling on a 9a?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I made the base from 5/8"x4" steel barstock for my ball turner and see the on ebay for the milling attachment but i don't think its worth the 189 bucks they are asking but it did take some time to make mine. I have a drawing...Bob

I made the base from 5/8"x4" steel barstock for my ball turner and see the on ebay for the milling attachment but i don't think its worth the 189 bucks they are asking but it did take some time to make mine. I have a drawing...Bob

Woe!! $189..... I will PM you my email address for the drawing if thats OK. I have a spare set of shoes and it looks straight forward enough to make in two parts out of round bar and flat bar. Thanks for getting back to me.

Steve

I made one for my 9" & 10K and found it so useful that I made a similar adapter for my Sheldon. I am now able to use my SB milling attachment on all my lathes. Very handy.

Attachments

• PICT2261.jpg
    PICT2261.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 3,963
I made one for my 9" & 10K and found it so useful that I made a similar adapter for my Sheldon. I am now able to use my SB milling attachment on all my lathes. Very handy.

Cool, nice accessory and handy to be able to use your SB milling attachment on different lathes. I imagine as far as rigidity goes light cuts and small cutters are the order of the day on a small lathe. aametalmaster sent me a link to his Southbend page where he has a drawing of an offset base plus a ball turning tool. Well worth a look, I think I will make them both as we can never have to much tooling even if it is only used occasionally lol.

Thanks for replying

Steve

Just found pics of the one I made.

I made the spud to be a press fit into the plate then heated the plate and put the spud in the freezer for an hour before assembly. Next, I drilled and pinned the spud into the plate and ground to a smooth finish. Never had a problem with it loosening up. I really never used it much thoughas I have a BP & Hardinge horizontal mill except as a mounting for a shop made indexer and a SB dividing center attachment.

Attachments

• attach base1.jpg
    attach base1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 544
  • attach base4.jpg
    attach base4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 781
  • mill vise base 2.jpg
    mill vise base 2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 662
  • mill vice base 3.jpg
    mill vice base 3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 823
Ball turner

As for a ball turner, I adapted an old design I saw to fit a 9" or 10K compound. A removable pin, shown, is set on the pivot point so by turning a ring the dia of the ball I want and slipping it over the pin, it's easy to adjust the tool bit to the exact dia of the ball or radius to be cut.

Attachments

• PICT2776.jpg
    PICT2776.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,721
what do you need an offset base for?

I have the SB milling attachment and wondered where it went into, now I know. My question is why do you want an offset base for the milling attachment?

Back