What's new
What's new

Milling attachment for SB 9

bluearc

Aluminum
How many different types of mill attachments are there of the SB 9. I just bought one and the base will not fit my machine.

If your milling attachment is a authentic South Bend accessory, you have only to make a adapter to fit the base of the milling attachment to the cross slide of the lathe. My view is that all of the milling attachments made by South Bend were meant for the SB9. I bought one in excellent shape and made a adapter to fit my 10L.

Lord Byron

If your milling attachment is a authentic South Bend accessory, you have only to make a adapter to fit the base of the milling attachment to the cross slide of the lathe. My view is that all of the milling attachments made by South Bend were meant for the SB9. I bought one in excellent shape and made a adapter to fit my 10L.

Lord Byron

Where can I purchase an adapter. Here are some pics of the lathe and the mill.

latheparts10-28-12002.jpg

cuttingtools005.jpg

latheparts10-28-12001.jpg

That should fit into the compound mounting hole. There also is a plate that would offset the attachment. It attaches in the same manner. Sometimes you can find them on flea bay.

Are you sure that it doesn't fit? Your pictures show that it is all there. Remove the compound rest by loosening the two bolts that are at an angle in the front of the compound rest. They normally are allen set screws, yours appears to be replaced with a hex head cap screw. The compound rest should then be lifted off the cross-slide. The hole in the top of the cross-slide should accept the boss feature on the bottom of the milling attachment.

Lord Byron

They normally are allen set screws,

They appear to be the factory "Square Head" bolts. South Bend did not use Allen set screws in this location. They use the same type bolt head as they did on the carriage locking bolt. One wrench to keep up with.

Joe

They appear to be the factory "Square Head" bolts. South Bend did not use Allen set screws in this location. They use the same type bolt head as they did on the carriage locking bolt. One wrench to keep up with.

Joe

They are Allen set screws on my 16 inch SB, and on my SB10L. They were also on three new 13 inch SB that we had delivered to our Tech College in 1969. Correction, they were Allen dog point set screws. Tightening or loosening anything but a Allen set screw to clamp or unclamp the compound would be impossible at some angular settings due to overhang of the compound rest.

Lord Byron

Not to be argumentative but, he doesn't have a 16" lathe or 13". He has a 9". My 9" came with squarehead bolts. Just like what he has. Compare apples to apples, not apples to elephants. That's what comparing a 16 "South Bend lathe, to a 9" is. A 16", is the elephant. And elephants eat apples.

They are different machines, and the parts do not interchange.

Joe

Not to be argumentative but, he doesn't have a 16" lathe or 13". He has a 9". My 9" came with squarehead bolts. Just like what he has. Compare apples to apples, not apples to elephants. That's what comparing a 16 "South Bend lathe, to a 9" is. A 16", is the elephant. And elephants eat apples.

They are different machines, and the parts do not interchange.

Joe
Sure sounds argumentative to me. There is plenty of time from 1936 to now. Probably South Bend thought dog point allen set screws were a improvement.

Lord Byron

Are you sure that it doesn't fit? Your pictures show that it is all there. Remove the compound rest by loosening the two bolts that are at an angle in the front of the compound rest. They normally are allen set screws, yours appears to be replaced with a hex head cap screw. The compound rest should then be lifted off the cross-slide. The hole in the top of the cross-slide should accept the boss feature on the bottom of the milling attachment.

Lord Byron

You were correct it does fit however, does the curved slot at the bottom indicate the mill may also be used other lathes.

lathe10-30-12005.jpg

that curved slot is for a bolt(s) to thread into a tapped hole(s) in the cross slide - at some point SB started drilling and tapping the cross slides just for this purpose - if you plan on using the milling attachment i would recommend tapping the holes - it will make the attachment much sturdier.
here`s a pic of how SB did it at the factory - the holes are tapped 5/16" x 18 tpi

1351606970.jpg

Go to: The SBL Workshop - How To...

And open these 2 documents.

1938 Print - Tapped Holes for Milling Attachment, SBL ATT-21

1937 How to Fit a Milling Attachment to a South Bend Lathe, SBL-ATT-7

There might also be other documents on this site, that would help you. Feel free to look around..

Have fun, and stay safe.

Joe.

As to the compound set screws, it's my understanding that the pre-WW2 lathes had square heads, postware were allen set screws. My post-war 9A has the allen screws

My 9C lathe was made in 1942, so they were still using them at that time. The same wrench fit the carriage locking bolt, reversing gear bolts and the compound rest clamping bolts. Only the tailstock wrench was different.
I do not know when they change the type of screws they used. My statement just referred to the fact that they did use squarehead bolts on the 9 ", and it was not fair to say that they had been replaced because the newer larger lathe did not come with them. I don't know if they have been replaced or not, I cannot say. But they appear to be the factory type bolts.

Some people like to keep their machines as original as possible. Changing this type of bolt, because someone says that is not original, because their newer, Larger machine did not come with that type of bolt is wrong. South Bend made many changes to their machines over the years. For instance on my 1942 9C, the headstock bearing clamps are tightened with a hex head bolt. On the 10K this was changed to a socket head cap screw. I have no doubt that they made this change to the 9" in later years.

If the guy had a 1945 Chevrolet car and someone else says it was not a Chevrolet because he was comparing it to a 1965 Chevrolet truck you would definitely look at them funny. Even though they are made by the same company they are very different vehicles.

Back