What's new
What's new

9" Model C-Apron Question

mjr6550

Aluminum
I am rebuilding a 1952 9"x36" Model C lathe. The apron handwheel connects to a shaft that has a small gear on the end. This shaft (and the hole in the apron) are quite worn. I measured the shaft to be 0.619" diameter near the gear and 0.595" at the handwheel end (near the handwheel, not at the handwheel). The hole in the apron measures 0.624" at the inside and 0.638" at the outside. I'm looking for an opinion whether I should pick up a used apron and if so, are my chances good that another one will be much better? The other option I'm thinking about is to bore out the apron and insert a sleeve in the apron, and then also turn down the shaft. Thanks.

I have repaired the same issue on my 10L. I bored the casting enough to clean it up, and made a new shaft with an enlarged diameter in the bearing area. I moved the gear from the old shaft to the new one (bored, locktite and dutchman key). I did the same repair on the shaft above it, the pinion that drives the rack. Turning the shaft down is a problem, cause then you have to turn down the handwheel area too, and add a sleeve to the handwheel.

allan

Boring the apron and bushing it, turning the shaft to clean up and size the bushing to the new shaft diameter, is the way to go. The hand wheel is not an issue on the 9" because it fits on a different diameter(smaller than the diameter that runs through the apron)
Ted

Back