What's new
What's new

MLA crosslide on Heavy Ten

gunsmither

Aluminum
Here are some photo's of the Metal Lathe Accessories crosslide that I adapted to my Heavy Ten some years back. The MLA slide is made for the 9" and 10K lathes, but it worked fine for the HT also. Just a bit narrow and short, but it doesn't affect the machine at all.

Attachments

• P5120037.JPG
    P5120037.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,191
  • P5120038.JPG
    P5120038.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,276
  • P5120040.JPG
    P5120040.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,217
  • P5120042.JPG
    P5120042.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,198
  • P5120035.JPG
    P5120035.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,156
Last edited:
More

The original gib is a very nice tapered affair. I elected to go with the set screw type, as it was way easier to build.

I also put the compound set screws in the sides, thinking it would be easier to get to them, but it's actually harder when the compound is swung to either side. My mistake!

The MLA casting was a breeze to machine; cuts like butter. This has been the most useful thing I have made for my lathe, as it allow's me to use a back toolpost.

Attachments

• P5120032.JPG
    P5120032.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 762
I don't recall

It's been many years since I built my crosslide, and I can't recall what size I used. Perhaps Paula can tell you what size she used on her recent build, or someone else who has built one.

MLAToolbox

A question has come up about the size of the "T" slot cutter to be used for cleaning up the "T" slots in the MLA cross slide. It is the nominal 5/16" bolt size. That size will take care of all "T" slot dimensions automatically.

Also, there is another problem in having the topslide locking screws enter from directly opposite sides of the cross slide, in that the clamping force is applied between them instead of against the mounting hole. Ideally they should be located at ninety degrees to one another, or thereabouts, so as not to be opposed. As they are located now, it might be better to tighten only one rather than both when locking the compound. Andy L.

T slot size

I ended up with a T slot that has a 3/8" top portion, and a .250"+.005" x .625" +.005'' bottom dimension. This accommodates a 1/4" thick x 5/8" wide 5/16"-18 tapped nut. If I recall correctly, I used what I had on hand, an 1/8" thick x 5/8" dia. Woodruff cutter, and made 3 passes to give me about .255" on the bottom slot, after using a 3/8" endmill for the top slot.

As explained in one of my posts, I used 180 degree opposing lock screws to hold the compound, thinking it would be easier to get to them, but it's actually worse to get at, and also does not lock as well as the original factory method. I was too lazy to set it up to drill and tap like the original. My bad! Someday I might get around to doing it correctly.

Well, this was certainly interesting. The odd thing about all the photos is that the MLA slide looks wider than the SB slide. It must be an optical illusion though, because it's stated to be narrower. I'll have to measure mine and compare it with the MLA specs, as Andy suggested when I emailed him. Sure looks OK on there though!

Chris

Back