What's new
What's new

Model 9A Tailstock surprise

two-can

Plastic
I was taking the tailstock apart on my Model 9A and found an unexpected part:

On the chuck end of the tailstock base and on the matching surface on the tailstock body was a thin gasket glued to each face.

On the opposite end were two brass shims each about the same thickness as the "gasket" material.

I have not removed either gasket material as yet, because I do not know why they were put there. I have called the seller, but no response as yet.

There does not seem to be enough wear on the ways to equal the thickness of the gasket and shims, but I did not measure them as yet. The seller did a lot of wood turning with this lathe, and I don't know if he needed to hold the tail end of his work piece higher than you would when turning metal.

The tailstock is a "Lever Tailstock" .

Any ideas?

VERY common.
bet the two brass shims at the front are different thicknesses, with the thicker one toward the backside.

The gasket is there because it's compressible,

It was likely done to compensate for the usual low and pointing away tailstock.

Don't get worked up over it, par for the course in used machines.

Remember that test we discussed? After you ge the lathe so it turns without taper,chuck up another pice of scrap and turn it to the same exact diameter of the tailstock quill.

Reassemble tailstock as it was, scoot it up next to the pice you turned, lock it down to the bed and extend the quill and lock it too.

Now you have a test bar you can use to compare to...can run a carriage mounted indicator over the top dead center and the side to see how low,high,pointing up or down it is.

I must say, everything about this lathe installation has been a test of my accumulation of tools over the last 30 years and leaning on experienced machinists like the good folks on practical machinist.

Usually I have at least one good setup for a reference, but this project will be starting with everything out of alignment. Probably the best way to learn though.

Back