What's new
What's new

Model A parts

Angry Automaton

Plastic
Hello,
I am a new member here and looking for some help. So I have the pleasure of being a model A owner. I am trying to figure out where I can purchase some parts for my new to me lathe.
1) A new belt. It had the belt cut off by the prior owner for transport.
2) Lube oils and bearing grease.
3) The clutch handle screw is missing. Handle spins freely.

I am based in Canada, so more local the better. That said, I really want to get her going.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20180408_155335.jpg
    20180408_155335.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 20180408_155342.jpg
    20180408_155342.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 20180408_155350.jpg
    20180408_155350.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 20180409_191116.jpg
    20180409_191116.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 191
Welcome to the forum, there is a wealth of info to be had in the stickys above. You may have luck contacting Ted at this email address: [email protected] He is a great source for OEM parts and is very knowledgeable. Great looking machine. Jim

Not sure what you mean. From the pics it looks like all you are missing is the small LH threaded screw that keeps the knob from backing all the way off the shaft. The clutch should still function normally with out it. If it "spins freely" and does not engage the clutch when tightened clockwise, then there is an internal problem as well.

If you still have the belt, and it was cut decently, you can lace it back together with some heavy ( 40 lb. ) fishing line. Look in SB book "How to Run a Lathe" for lacing pattern.
The left hand clutch screw is available newly made on Ebay from a guy, also in Canada.
Small bottles of oil can be had on Ebay also. Gallons are easy to locate from most online tool suppliers ( MSC, Traver's, etc.) Three oils will cover the SB spec; Mobil Velocite 10, Mobil DTE 26 ISO 68, Mobil DTE 24 ISO 32. Other oils meeting the same spec will work as well.

Mobile Vactra No2 Way oil for the saddle and tail stock ways. Mobile DTE 26 is hydraulic oil, I think that DTE Heavy Medium, also ISO 68, would be the right oil. It is a circulating oil. DTE 26 is for machines that have hydraulic vales and acculturates, wrong additives but it costs 1/2 of Heavy Medium. The DTE Light would also be a better choice than DTE 24 for the same reasons.

Thank you very much everyone for your input. You have set me off in the right direction and have started to order parts. Hopefully the old girl will be running shortly. Once again thanks,
Paul

Hello,
I am a new member here and looking for some help. So I have the pleasure of being a model A owner. I am trying to figure out where I can purchase some parts for my new to me lathe.
1) A new belt. It had the belt cut off by the prior owner for transport.
2) Lube oils and bearing grease.

I am based in Canada, so more local the better. That said, I really want to get her going.
Thanks for any help.

Very Nice looking 10K, really clean!
try this link...
http://www.wswells.com/download/parts-contacts.doc

Steve

Another question when it comes to belt length. I measured 61 5/8". Before cutting to final length, how much should i reduce the length by for wearing in. I'm also guessing that leather and synthetic belts stretch differently.

See here...under spindle oils you want ISO 22 and ISO32 (equal to "A" and "B" oils)
Under way oils your choice SAE20 or SAE30...my preference is the 20 (basically ISO68)..I don't like too sticky oil.:)

those 3 oils covers the spec for everything as BobbyBailey noted, they sell it in gallons and that's enough oil to last you a few years.

KBC Tools & Machinery

As for stretch.....don't even figure stretch for a synthetic.....leather just depends on the cow.:)

Last edited:
So i have another question about using grease instead oil for the belt drum. On my machine it has GREASE stamped on the drum instead of oil. So the question is - should i take the spindle assembly apart and rebuild and use oil from then on: or use something for the like of super-lube silicone lubricant with Teflon?

Attachments

• 20180422_133004.jpg
    20180422_133004.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 54
Lots of opinions but the one thing no one can contest is you can't go wrong with oil...use your "C" oil...which will be the SAE20 "way oil"

More than a few of us had problems with grease,even when it was the "right" stuff...other than having to apply more often there is no problem with oil...just make oiling the cone part of your regilar oiling ritual.

As long as the cone isn't seized you don't have to tear it down to start using oil, if there is gummy grease in there use your spindle oil or ATF for a while...the grease will work its own way out...

Back