What's new
What's new

SB 10k Rebuild - Starting with Gear Box

longburn

Plastic
Hi Folks
Starting the rebuild of a 10K toolroom. Its dirty and in poor condition. Starting with the gear box. One of the tumblers has a bent rod. I'd like to take the tumbler apart, but can not seem to figure out how to disassemble the tumbler. Is there a trick to this? Regards Ritchie

yes, if you mean the knurled knob, it is pinned - if you clean the little countersunk hole on the end of the knob you can actually see the little pin passing through and get an idea of where it is.

yes, if you mean the knurled knob, it is pinned - if you clean the little countersunk hole on the end of the knob you can actually see the little pin passing through and get an idea of where it is.

Those are tapered pins, if you hit the wrong end you will make a lot of work for yourself. You must find the smaller end and use a smaller punch.

Ed S

maybe i was lucky but on mine the pin was straight. could have been modded or maybe even SB did it different ways??
another way to find the ends(and that would verify if it`s straight or tapered on your`s) is to polish up the knob and hit it with a cold bluing solution- the different steels will take the bluing differently and show exactly where it is. - i think this is one of Dennis Turk`s methods.

Thanks Folks, thanks for the great advice.

Sounds like I've been looking in all the wrong places. I'll give it a try this evening.

Ritchie

Thanks Folks
With a magnifying glass to help my poor old eyes, I did find the pin and it came out smoothly. Now I'm back in business to turn a new rod and reassemble.

The poin in mine is also a straight pin.

Thanks Ritchie

Back