What's new
What's new

My New 10L

mbogo375

Aluminum
I hope everyone will bear with a newbie for his first post. I have gotten some great information on this site, even though this is my first post. Thanks to all of you.

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a lathe (my first other than a mini-lathe). I just finished getting it into my shop, and it needs a good cleanup, as well as more familiarization on my part, but that will come with time ;).

I bought this lathe on very short notice, and I HOPE that I didn't go too far into the deep end without a lifeguard. I actually didn't even know the model number and serial number until I unloaded it today :o, only that it was a 10L. The model number turned out to be CLK 8187 AB, and the serial number is 15990RKK 16. Am I to assume this was a "toolroom" lathe from the first 8 in the model number? Also, I assume that it was made around 1966?

The ways aren't bad, but there is an area where the tailstock caused a slight bit of extra wear in the central area of the way, and it shows as a line with the original finish below, but worn smooth above. There are a few small dings, but nothing that is too noticeable (seems not to be raised much if any, compared to the surrounding surface, but I will find out more tomorrow).

I got a pleasant surprise when I discovered that it had a taper attachment that the seller had not mentioned (the original photos did not show that area, and were pretty blurry in any case). The seller also did not mention the type spindle, but I assumed that it was a L taper from the photos, and it proved to be. I think it is an L00 from the 3 3/4" thread diameter, is this correct?

It also had an almost new Bison 3-jaw chuck, as well as the original 3-jaw. I am now in the market for a 4-jaw.

Another nice extra was a telescoping steady rest (but no follow rest).

I also got another surprise that I had not expected when looking at the motor. The seller had stated that it was a single phase, two speed motor, but the plate says 3 phase. Not being knowledgeable on things electrical, is it possible that it could have been re-wired for single phase? If not, I guess I will be in the market for a phase converter. If it helps in determining whether it is three phase, the plug is a four prong rather than a three prong (see, I told you I was electrically challenged).

It also appears that some tooling got lost in shipment, like wrenches for the tail stock, tool post, and carriage lock. There may have been more, but I haven't gotten to the point of finding out yet. That will come tomorrow, I guess.

Is there a reasonably priced collet closer available for the L00 spindle?

Does the L00 use the same proprietary size centers as the 2 1/4-8? I will also be looking for a face plate, and any other tooling that I might need in L00 size.

One final question for now. Since the L taper spindle uses a key, is it safer to use in reverse than the threaded nose type? I might never do it, but I would like to know "just in case".

I would appreciate any comments from all you knowledgeable people. I am just beginning on my learning curve, and I know I have a world of things to learn. I am sure that I will have lots of questions. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Jim

SouthBend10L022copy2.jpg

SouthBend10L015copy2.jpg

SouthBend10L012copy2.jpg

SouthBend10L021copy2.jpg

SouthBend10L029copy2.jpg

SouthBend10L024copycopy2.jpg

SouthBend10L011copy2.jpg

Heavy ten

Nice looking lathe you did very well for a first time SB guy.

As to the spindle nose you will find that the LOO spindle is one of the more rigid types and far more rigid than a threaded nose. With the long taper for locating the spindle tooling and the large key used to drive the chuck its a very good if not one of the best spindles around. The D series maybe more convenient to use than the L series but I have always felt that the long taper L series to be more rigid. Just be sure the taper on the spindle and the chuck are very clean when you install the chuck.

One other thing if this lathe has a two speed motor you may wont to check and see if an inverter can handle it. Seams to me I read something about inverters and two speed motors. I know this comment will get the answers you need."-))))

Good luck with your new toy.

Turk

Worst case, you could get a surplus 3 phase motor of the right spec for very little money, hook up the VFD and be laughing. Should cost less than $200 all told.

i don't think he needs a new motor. i have the same make of motor on my 13. 1-2 horse power and with the vfd you just wire up the high speed winding and use the variable speed knob on the vfd to get speeds far below the slow speed of the low speed winding of the motor. i think with the vfd you can get speeds below 100 rpm on the motor witch translates to what, say 4 rpm in back gear on the lathe?

I have 2 lathes with the L-00 spindle, I like this spindle type very much. My Boxford VSL 500 came with a 6 and a 3 jaw Buck adjustrue chucks So I can use them on it and my L-6 Harrison.

I haven't noticed many 10L's with L-00 spindles, maybe they were special order only or a "fleet" option?

Hi There,

Very nice looking machine! The L00 spindle was an optional spindle taper that proved
to be not so popular with these lathes. The L00 spindle has the same internal taper
as the 2-1/4" x 8 tpi spindle and uses the same sleeves.

I do notice that you are missing a part on the headstock. There should be a curved
piece of steel called the "Hinge Wedge" (part number; PT3721LH2) that fits onto a
stud/bolt on the front of the headstock.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Hi There,

Very nice looking machine! The L00 spindle was an optional spindle taper that proved
to be not so popular with these lathes. The L00 spindle has the same internal taper
as the 2-1/4" x 8 tpi spindle and uses the same sleeves.

I do notice that you are missing a part on the headstock. There should be a curved
piece of steel called the "Hinge Wedge" (part number; PT3721LH2) that fits onto a
stud/bolt on the front of the headstock.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Webb,

AHHHHH, now it makes sense as to why the piece pictured below was included in the few bits of tooling that I got with the lathe.

There is a threaded hole on the right side of the headstock (as viewed from the spindle nose side). It is near a stud, which I assume is a stop for the base of the hook. The set screw on the bottom must be for adjustment to keep the hook from touching the spindle?

Thanks for solving a mystery. Now I will need to make a small collar for the screw, since it is a bit smaller than the hole through the hook, and get the "hinge wedge" back to usability.

SouthBend10L038copy2.jpg

To all the others who have replied,

Thanks for the informative responses and support!

Hopefully I will get things sorted out soon, since I really would like to get this lathe "fired up" (but no blue smoke ;) ).

Jim

Hi There,

The part provides a surface for the spindle nut to "thrust" against while removing the
chucks, faces plates, etc. from the spindle. And "hinges" out of the way when needed.

Closed.jpg

Open.jpg

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Hindge wedge

Great answer and photos...it answered about the part and shows how the spindle looks (which I was wondering about). I gather that one loosens the large nut and pries between the wedge and the nut to loosen the taper. I like it. Or maybe the nut backing off pushes the tool off of the taper. My guess is that the tooling is more expensive than the D-X spindle tooling.

Obviously that spindle is stout and machining in reverse will not even affect it.

Best regards, Jack

Hi There,

thedieter said:
I gather that one loosens the large nut and pries between the wedge and the nut to loosen the taper. I like it. Or maybe the nut backing off pushes the tool off of the taper.

The latter of your statements is the more correct one.

Paula said:
Or, hinges out of the way when not needed.

Well, that is a matter of perspective. Seeing that the Hinge Wedge can remain in position
during normal operation but when removing the spindle, it is much easier if the Hinge Wedge
is "hinged" out of the way (hence "when needed").

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

:toetap:
I'm jealous!!!
You have really done well, Jim.
Most of these type of threads start out with a
photo of a really large pile of rust...and something resembling
a lathe underneath. Then they go thru all kinds of work..posting
pictures along the way...excellent to read btw...
and if they are good, (I've not seen 1 that wasn't)
months later get to a final product
that looks like what you have
began with...
Good Find, and best wishes
bluechipper

Back