What's new
What's new

My SB 10K

JimL

Plastic
Picked this up friday, wasn't really looking for a lathe right now but this one was a deal so I couldn't pass on it.
Had been all gone through, just needed oil.
What do you guys recommend on the spindle? He also said the felts in the spindle hadn't been oiled, where are the felts?

Also the "jackshaft"(has vbelt from motor going to it and flatbelt pulley on it) as I will call it has a bunch of grooves in it where it rides on the bushings. Has anyone cut out the pulley and put a new shaft in it? or is the shaft supposed to be all scored?

Came with a full set of collets, tool post, the toolpost on it, 1/2" jacobs chuck for tailstock, couple centers, 3 and 4 jaw cushman chucks, and a couple backing plates.

I think I can make a collet closer, it was missing on the machine.

DSCN1116.jpg

DSCN1119.jpg

DSCN1121.jpg

Plus it came with the big@ss table,

Hi There,

That is one of the nicest looking 10K's I've seen for a while. Someone did a nice job of repainting it.

South Bend Lathes use three kinds of oil. The spindle uses type "A" oil. This is an ISO 22 spindle oil. I use Mobil Velocite No. 10 spindle oil. You can get this from most supply houses like MSC and McMaster-Carr. Cost is about $10.00 a gallon. The felts are under the spindle inside the headstock casting. You shouldn't have to remove them (unless they're all gummed up or something). All you need to do is fill the elbow oil cups all the way up and the felts will wick the oil up to the spindle. Just check the oil cups and keep them full.

It sounds like the shaft is scored from lack of lubrication. I take it that you have removed the shaft from the motor bracket? You might want to replace the shaft. Does your motor bracket have replaceable "Oilite" bearings in it? Later ones do but earlier ones did not. If your shaft is scored, then your bearings will likely need replacement too.

Seeing that you have a 10K Lathe, you don't need an adapter for the collets. The end of the spindle in the 10K has the closing taper for the collets machined in. Just as long as you are using the correct type of collets. The 10K uses 6K collets. If this is what you have, then you are good to go!

I hope this helps. Good Luck with the "new" lathe!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Yah I had the shaft out to get the belt on, it has the oilite bushings in it, I think the pulley and shaft are one piece. The parts book shows it that way.

He replaced all the felts on everything.
Got a recipt for over $800 worth of stuff from SBL he put in it. I only paid $1000

I was out messing with it today, got the oil.
The backgear doesn't want to stay in? What needs to be done to keep it in? It just pops out when i put it in, if i hold it in it works fine..

Jim, Tighten the screw on the backgear shaft (on the chuck end)to keep the shaft from popping out on a cut but not to tight to keep the handle from moving. The screw on the left is for the gear clearence...Bob

Back