What's new
What's new

In need of a gear for the 13" 34-C

rusty old tools

Hot Rolled
My 106/53t compound gear is damaged, I believe it's referred to in the chart as the 1-2 gear, there are several chipped teeth on the 106, the 53 is fine however. Though the gear will run I fear that one of those partial teeth will give way eventually and could cause damage to other gears in the train, so I'd like to find a replacement. I believe the gears are 16dp, I haven't measured yet to confirm but that's what my research is telling me they should be. I cannot seem to find one for sale anywhere. I'd have no problem with repairing it but I don't have a mill currently or dividing head or even the means to braze it up so for now that's out of the question.

If anyone has this gear spare that they'd be willing to sell i'd be pleased to hear from you, message me and we can work it out.

If anyone knows where I can buy this gear at a reasonable cost please let me know.

I'll post a photo later on of the damage and I'll measure the dp to be sure of what I need, I'm away from the workshop right now. Thanks in advance for any help.

image.jpgimage.jpgOk, I did some measuring and the gears are indeed 16 pitch, they are 5/8 wide with a 3/4 bore, there are several damaged teeth, the photo shows the worst area.

I did some thinking and I've figured I could repair this using a lathe, I could make a large index plate from plywood and an arm fixed in the end of the spindle, the gear could be brazed and the teeth recut using a the carriage to run the tool back and forth, the crude drawing pictured illustrates the basic setup, the plywood index plate's large size is to increase accuracy.

I fixed similar on my Series O 13 X 5 in 1966 by hand drilling holes, putting in pins and filing them to shape where they did not go "bump" when the repair went by

As far as your plan, the good teeth on the gear would make an excellent "index wheel"

Thumbnail shows an existing gear used as an index device by the simple expedient of a pin in a block to fit in the teeth

Attachments

• P1000243crop.jpg
    P1000243crop.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 59

Back