What's new
What's new

Need Help With: "Hand lever draw-in collet chuck"

Speedy64

Aluminum
Hi Gang,

I'm finally getting around to getting my lathe in working order, and the first step was to get a modern tool holder and put all new oil wicks in, etc. etc. etc.

I discovered that one of the cool items I got with the lathe was a "Hand lever draw-in collet chuck"

The problem is: there is an arm that is supposed to attach to the body of the lathe.

The only way I see to attach the arm is by taking the cover that holds the on/off switch off, and then re-attach it once I've put the arm on.

Currently that "cover" and electrical box is in the way and I don't have the clearance to put the arm on via the pin.

My "logical mind" tells me that there has to be an easier way because I thought the whole point to this particular accessory was quick, off/on easy action to use collets.

Please chime in, anybody.........I've included some pics of my dilemma.

Thanks everybody......

P.S. Please excuse all of the grime, she'll look like brand new money when I'm done cleaning everything.

Attachments

• Lathe 1.jpg
    Lathe 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Lathe 2.jpg
    Lathe 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Lathe 3.jpg
    Lathe 3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Lathe 4.jpg
    Lathe 4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Lathe 5.jpg
    Lathe 5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 235
Take the electrical box off or loosen it and attach the arm, then reinstall the electrical box. If you want to remove the collet closer and draw tube, pull the bolt that holds the a fore mentioned arm to the rest of the closer and leave that arm in place. Mine had a double nut which I just took off leaving just a pin. Works fine.

Tom

Yep, what Tom said. The thing I would do is to somehow relocate the switch mounting. To me that mounting
was done by an idjiat!

Pete

Yep, what Tom said. The thing I would do is to somehow relocate the switch mounting. To me that mounting
was done by an idjiat!

Pete

In all fairness to the person that mounted the box, they probably had no idea that there would be interference with the collet closer. That's what happened with me, I mounted box long before the closer was added.

Tom

Thanks guys,

I like the suggestion about leaving the arm in place and just disconnecting it via the other bolt when I don't want to use it.

I Googled other lathes just like mine and I couldn't help but notice that most of them have the on/off box in the same location as mine.

Not all mine you but most did so I just figured it came from the factory like that.

Anyway thanks guys, I can't wait to get the old girl going.

In all fairness to the person that mounted the box, they probably had no idea that there would be interference with the collet closer. That's what happened with me, I mounted box long before the closer was added.

Tom

Well, that's right Tom. But that sort of stuff just sorta irritates me at times. Hindsight is always perfect. :)

Pete

Back