What's new
What's new

Need help identifying my new Heavy 10

terrafirma

Plastic
Hi Forum, thanks for your help.

I just took delivery of my new South Bend Heavy 10, Model No. CL8187ZB. (First pic below) I bought it from a outfit in Pennsylvania, and had it shipped to my modest shop in San Rafael, CA.. I'm a general contractor using the SB lathe to mill up bronze fittings for a sailboat restoration. I'm not a machinist, by any means - but I build a mean house! It has the serial number on the end of the ways, No. 15821rkx16. (Second pic, below) It has a number punched on the bottom of the QC gearbox, no. DIG107 R. (Third pic, below).

I'm trying to get the year of mfg., and all identifying info so I can figure out how to accessorize. I have a box of old tooling that came with it, but it's all in pieces, and separated. The one great thing is that I have two full sets of 5c collets, so I can sell one to someone that needs a set.

The engine plate (1 h.p., 3 phase, 220) is the shown below, as well as a shot of the carriage and Alonis tool post. There is a taper attachment on the back, that you can't see.

I ordered the Fuji Frenic VFD, so I can run it off my single phase, 120 line current. I take deliver of that in 1 to 4 weeks, so I can't run the dang thing yet.

I used the algorithm on the http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page4.html try to find the date of mfg, but kept getting 1905. But I did find another 8187 model number for sale that had a close serial number, and I estimate that the year of mfg. was around 1965. But I'm not sure. I'd also like to know what the "X" special designation in the serial no. means. It has a large threaded spindle, too.

Any help is appreciated. If I can send additional pics, or other info, please let me know.

Thanks!

IMG_0819.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0817.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0824.jpg

I used the algorithm on the Page Title try to find the date of mfg, but kept getting 1905. But I did find another 8187 model number for sale that had a close serial number, and I estimate that the year of mfg. was around 1965. But I'm not sure. I'd also like to know what the "X" special designation in the serial no. means. It has a large threaded spindle, too.

First, congrats on your new machine. Sounds like you did ok. Are you telling what you paid and how much to ship? Enquiring minds want to know. :D

The formula you reference doesn't apply to yours. There's a serial number reference here that might be of interest. It puts your machine around 1967.

The "X" in the serial number meant there was some special option, generally being flame hardened bed. You might look on the tail end of the bed on the front, it may have a badge to that effect. The 8187 catalog number meant toolroom version, which explains the collets and taper attachment.

You will find a bounty of good info and parts sources here.

A nice machine. Be sure you have some oil in the spindle bearings before doing
and work with it.

AND: under NO circumstances should you attempt to remove the bearing caps
on the spindle bearings unless you have read and understood the procedure for
doing this!

The toolpost is very nice, but a tad on the large side - I think it's a BXA size.
The smaller AXA size is a better fit, so keep your eyes out for a trade.

Back