What's new
What's new

Need help identifying steady rest

ja762

Aluminum
I have a telescoping steady rest for a South Bend lathe which I'm looking to sell, but I don't know what model it fits. It is too large for my 13". I figure the best way to tell would be to measure the width (distance between the ways), but I can't find anything from SB that lists that dimension and I don't have access to any other lathes I can compare it to. The base of the rest is 8" overall and 6 1/2" center of V to center of flat. The number stamped on the bottom is SRD101V, but I can't find any info on it.
Also, any opinions on a fair asking price? It appears to be unused. There are no marks indicating it has ever been mounted on a machine or that anything has ever been mounted in the jaws.
Any input would be appreciated.

well, that is a SB number for a telescoping rest but are you sure the V is really a V?

what does it measure from the bottom flat to the split?

EDit- sounds like Erich got you part way there, now you need that flat to split measurement to confirm.

It is definitely a V, the stamping is very clear. It measures 8 inches from the bottom flat to the split. The opening is just over 4 3/4". The catalog lists the weight of the 16-24 at 47 pounds while the 16 is 30lbs. and the 14 1/2 is 28. Mine weighs 22 lbs., but unfortunately the bottom piece which holds it to the ways from underneath is missing. Embarrassingly, I can't figure out what that piece called, I haven't given up hope on going back and locating it though.

Are you able to post a pic?

Just a guess but based on the info Erich provided was possibly a 16/24 rest and someone removed the riser..,if that's the case still a good rest for someone with a standard 16"

That would make sense. I will post a pic when I get home in a couple of hours. Thanks for the assistance.

The dimensions match the rest I have on my 16. I sure wouldn't mind having another. Let me know what you are looking to get for the rest when you get a picture.

Marc

v8packard I'm still trying to figure out a fair price for it. Rests of this type for the 9 & 10 inch lathes seem to be going for (or at least people are asking for) 250-400. I see a used one like this for a 16 inch was just posted on ebay for 499. Seems like 350 would probably be fair. What part of Chicago are you in? I'm in NWI (Valpo). We could probably meet up if you wanted to check it out sometime.

packardbill I just saw your post. I'm thinking 350 would be a fair price. It's probably only fair for me to wait for V8packard to respond though, since he inquired about it first. (there sure are a lot of packards on this forum)

ja,

I live on the northwest side of Chicago, and work in Elk Grove Village, near O'Hare airport. I might be going to Wagners in Chesterton (Porter?) this weekend, I will find out sometime later today and message you. If you have been in Valpo long, you know Wagners...

$350 may be ok on price, though I paid a bit less for the one I have and it included the clamp. But that price does not scare me. Do you have anything else for a 16? Are you looking for anything for the 13?

And yes, Packard lovers are everywhere...

Marc

Some Wagner's ribs do sound good. It's possible that the other parts for the rest are still in the gentleman's garage that I bought the lathe from. If I come across them I would certainly pass them along if you were to buy it. I have a very nice 4 jaw chuck that I don't foresee using, it's rather large for my machine. I can post some pics if you are interested.
I just purchased the 13 and aside from needing a new flat drive belt everything seems pretty good...except for the shaft in the gearbox that the shifters slide on (I can't recall the name for it right now).
Let me know if you're coming out, we can meet up. I'll be in Chicago next Wed. for a concert at Hard Rock Cafe.
Joe

Back