What's new
What's new

Need help with info about a south bend lathe

C.R. Judd

Plastic
Hey guys, I just went and looked at a south bend lathe. The only info I have is it is a 13-5 8113-b serial number is 150633. The ways are in good condition. The seller did not have any tooling to go with it. No taper attachment. Was not hooked up to power so I couldn't hear it run. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Year of manufacturing? If it came with a taper attachment? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 256
Not much info to know- its a 13x5, made in early 1944. It probably did have a taper attachment originally. If that was removed properly, the lathe will still work fine. If not, the cross feed will not work because of the telescoping screw.

allan

Might sell here in Detroit area 1500 to $2000 if all there and nothing broken.

QT: [ways are in good condition.] hard to tell that just looking...but if so it could be a very nice lathe.. Cant tell from here if it has a thread dial.
Figure 100 or $200 for that.
here is an interesting You Tube..

SB threading with not having a thread dial.. Cool.. never did that.. but now I know how..
THREADING ON THE METAL LATHE WITHOUT A THREAD DIAL - YouTube

Thank you guys. It does have a thread dial,but only marked with 1 and 4. I don't know if that is something they did back in the forties. Cross feed screw is exposed and I can see where there was a taper attachment bolted to it. Thank you again for the replies!

Back