What's new
What's new

Need help with O-style south bend apron.

I've been tearing down a south bend model-O apron in order to clean it but I'm having some issues with the clutch. I don't know how to remove the parts depicted. In addition, the shaft has a bit of binding in it, and it doesn't always bind in the same spot so I really do need to get into it and see whats wrong.
20180513_002549.jpg 20180513_002624.jpg
In addition, is a saddle lock from a another more rescent 9" lathe compatible with this apron/saddle? My saddle is a wide 9" Junior lathe.

In your 2nd photo, your arrow points to the clutch sleeve, the hole is just and oil hole.
Hold this sleeve in place and loosen the clutch sleeve outer nut in your second photo. It is right hand threads. remove the nut and the sleeve will come out. Remove the clutch sleeve bushing from the apron, it's also right hand threads. On the clutch sleeve where it rides in the bushing there is an oil hole.
This hole has a very small round piece of felt in it. punch that out and clean everything with brass or nylon round gunsmith brushes. at reassembly make another felt and insert until it touches the clutch screw, then soak with oil. Before you install the clutch, re-peen the outer punch marks if they are worn.

I would say no on the saddle lock, if you mean the narrow bed 9 or 10K, I can probably find the dimensions for it, I'll look,

Enjoy

Steve

In your 2nd photo, your arrow points to the clutch sleeve, the hole is just and oil hole.
Hold this sleeve in place and loosen the clutch sleeve outer nut in your second photo. It is right hand threads. remove the nut and the sleeve will come out. Remove the clutch sleeve bushing from the apron, it's also right hand threads. On the clutch sleeve where it rides in the bushing there is an oil hole.
This hole has a very small round piece of felt in it. punch that out and clean everything with brass or nylon round gunsmith brushes. at reassembly make another felt and insert until it touches the clutch screw, then soak with oil. Before you install the clutch, re-peen the outer punch marks if they are worn.

I would say no on the saddle lock, if you mean the narrow bed 9 or 10K, I can probably find the dimensions for it, I'll look,

Enjoy

Steve
Can't say how much I appreciate your input. And if you do take the measurements, I'd appreciate that too!

Back