What's new
What's new

Need a Large dial Bushing turned for my SB?

Ronniet

Aluminum
I have made some of the required pieces to convert my 11" SB crossfeed dial into a Large type.
Its difficult to do with your lathe torn down, I have access to a 6" At--- but its no where precision enough to make the 1.75 o.d. dial bushing for the 11" .
Is anyone interested in making this piece for me? I have the PTG 1018 1.75 round stock, and can supply the
failed attempt I tired to make it on a small lathe.
Let me know.
Thanks
RT

Yeah , I bought some satin dials from Ted last year while I had it apart and just not getting around to truing it up and trying to finish it. I don't suppose the 11" ever had Large dials? but I am going to retro fit them even if Bill does not approve.
The shaft in the CF was 5/8" in diameter and handle was hole was @ 7/16 so I found some 5/8" o.d. bearings that would work and I want to leave the shaft @ 7/16 on the end so I modified the CF dial and it worked with the shaft and handle. just that the little At-- or my ability with it was off in making the busing and its enough out of true with the shaft that I don't want to waste any more material or time on the At--- Bill.
Ron

So anyone want to take a stab at making the bushing ? Or am I to be left to Bills method to grab the shaft by any means possible to turn it and make the bushing?
Ron

if you make a dimensioned sketch w/a wire measurement of the threads(one wire measurement is fine) i`ll make one.
i already have material - no sense paying shipping twice.:)

It's a bit of a pain but it can all be done using your compound as your crossfeed. Swing your compound to 0 degrees, clamp an indicator in your toolpost and run it against the flat of the chuck and adjust the compound until you get 0 movement then you know it's in line. Choose a happy medium on your crosslide to allow the compound all the movement you will need to machine the bushing, lock down the gibbs tight and have at it. Do the threading plunging straight in at the same angle. You'll be putting more pressure on the bit and workpiece and be taking a cut on both sides of your threading tool, but if you go slow and carefully it'll turn out right.

But Bill,,,,, I like you?:smitten:
Now I don't get bulbs changed anymore, back when the Obama caulkers were here sealing up my house for free I had them install those new screw in fluorescent bulbs everywhere , supposed to last a 100 years!!:dopeslap:

There is another old saying Bill, "dont belive all you hear" or in this case ..."read."
Some people will jerk your chain.
Best, Ron

Back