What's new
What's new

Need manual for 17" Turnado

rhoward

Hot Rolled
I tried this a few years ago but thought it might be worth another shot. Here is the story:

A couple of years ago I bought a South Bend Turnado lathe which has been in storage ever since. I have tried and tried to find out information on this machine but not even South Bend (now "Grizzly") seems to know anything about it. Mine is 17"X40" and for some reason it has no feed power. One of the gear selection knobs is stuck and pushed-in so I expect someone backed a forklift or something heavy into it and mashed the gearbox. But otherwise it is in great shape including a nice adjustable 3-jaw chuck. So of course I would like to get it running again.

I just found these pics on the web. And although these are for a 20" machine it looks nearly identical to mine. Please go here to see what it looks like:
Turnado Lathe pictures by leadscrew - Photobucket

So, if anyone has a lead on information for this machine PLEASE let me know! I especially would like to find a parts list and diagrams for it. Anything more would be pure gravy.

Thanks a bunch,
Randy

I think i have the catalog sheets for that 17 inch Turnado and maybe a parts list....I am looking for it right now
packrat2

packrat2 Could you send me the email of the 17" turnado info you have? E-mail to [email protected] I need the cast iron block where the crossfeed control lever mounts to for a 17" southbend turnado

I have the complete parts list for that lathe if you still need one. Dave
Any chance I could get a copy of that parts list 47nomad?
How bout you Mr. Packrat? could I possibly get your info?
I run a machine trades program and inherited 3 of these in various states of disrepair and could use all the help I could get putting these back into full service for our students. I can PM you my email...

Thanks guys for anything you would be willing to share!

Owner of 17" Southbend Turnado

I have the complete parts list for that lathe if you still need one. Dave

Is it possible I could get a copy of the parts list. I have the manual for the Southbend 17" Turnado that is available on ebay, but that is mostly brochure and slightly manual. I don't think it has a great parts list in it. More like issue of which oil to use, etc.

If you have questions about a 17" Southbend Turnado I'll be glad to tell you what I know. I've had the head apart on mine to fix a stuck pump and have seen the insides if that helps.

Mark

Do you know how to remove the individual clutches on a 17"-20" Turn-ado? I removed the clutch pack but I want to remove the clutches and plates so I can examine them and get them fixed.Or any pictures of one that is apart would help a lot.

Thank you so much
Steve

Do you know how to remove the individual clutches on a 17"-20" Turn-ado? I removed the clutch pack but I want to remove the clutches and plates so I can examine them and get them fixed.Or any pictures of one that is apart would help a lot.

Thank you so much
Steve

Good Evening,

I recently purchased a 17" Turn-Nado Lathe, for better or worse... I have been in Contact with Ted and purchased several parts and a parts manual so I already know about him, What I am looking for is if there is a comprehensive wiring diagram for these lathes. I had to take the switch / Button panel off the front to repair a few of the contactors that were either broken or dirty. I pulled the wires through the conduit in the headstock and have lost the identification marking. On the panel in the back of the machine it comes from terminal 0, but on the switches / buttons I have no terminal 0 marking. ANY help would be appreciated. I took this apart faster than I should have and did not take nearly enough pictures. If anyone is inclined enough to take the button panel off of the front of their machine and snap a picture of both sides of the contactors that would be a great help.

Thank you!

KR
Traction Engineering LLC

Back