What's new
What's new

Need motor part number for South Bend Lathe

Etherizer

Plastic
I have a 1963 South Bend 10" Swing "Heavy 10" model with the "Under Motor" The motor is a 1 HP 3 phase 220v 60 cycle motor. I believe it was originally 440 v, but converted to 220v. I need a part number for the motor, but do not have an owner's manual. Grizzly, who now owns South Bend, cannot quote a replacement motor without a part number. The number I have found online is 778, which is an item number, not a part number. The motor is currently at a repair shop, and it is unknown if it can be rebuilt, so I am trying to determine my options. Any assistance is appreciated

Grizzly is probably the last place you want to buy the motor from. They're easy enough to specify - you already know it's 1hp, 220v, 3ph.. All you need now, is the frame size, mounting configuration, and shaft details. Once you have that, start with Craigslist.

Paul

All that data should be on the motor nameplate. Motors are fairly standardized, if you have a frame size and the basic power data any motor will do the job. You can also run a bit smaller of a motor on that. As far as I know, my 10L came with a 3/4 hp and it currently has a 1/2 hp.

There is very little to fail on a 3 phase motor. Bearings get noisy, but are very simple to replace. If the coils shorted or if the shaft is completely trashed, its basically scrap in this size. Its not worth re-winding until you get into big motors.

I'll second (or third) all of the above. There is nothing special about these motors, and you don't need to get one from Grizzly. The deciding factor will likely be the shaft size, so you can re-use your existing pulley. A 143 frame has a bigger shaft than a 56, for instance.

allan

Your motor repair shop may be the best source of info and a replacement motor. We have had well and irrigation motors repaired and replaced by repair shops. Now days a 15 horse motor is cheaper to replace than rewind. Things like energy efficiency, which country the motor is made will be some of the choices they can help you with.

Ether, if you can wait until tonight I will look at mine and send you the info, ditto on all above, finding a motor for this application should be straightforward. Jim
My motor:
GE model5K43MG313
3 ph. 208-220/440
3/4 HP
56 FR

pretty standard motor, should be able to find it anywhere.

Last edited:
Frame size designation is basically a function of the dimension from the center of the shaft to the mounting surface. There is some overlap in foot mounting dimensions. Look at this chart which should tell you just about all you need to know to figure out a replacement motor. Very early South Bend lathes often did not use NEMA spec motors but yours in "new" enough that it most likely does have a standard dimension motor.

http://kurz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Baldor-NEMA-Frame-Chart.pdf

Back