What's new
What's new

Need some help ID'ing a 9" SB

mooseracing

Plastic
I was just handed down this lathe that has been around awhile, it seems like C model but the serial number is throwing me for a loop if I am reading things correctly. Here are some pictures:

wp_20130411_001.jpg

wp_20130415_001.jpg

wp_20130415_002.jpg

wp_20130415_003.jpg

wp_20130415_004.jpg

I think the cross slide handle has been replaced as well it moves opposite its numbering. The power feed has been modified to get it slower. There is also some bracket on the back side of the cross slide. Alot of this was done at least 30-40yrs ago before my dad had the lathe.

I was going to replace the rubber belt (that drives the spindle) as it is old and dry but I figured I would replace the wicks along with checking the spindle tolerance if I had to take the spindle out. When I put the oil in the cups that are about at spindle level, not the top ones, it just seeps out quickly as well.

Well, that machine's been through quite a bit. It was built around December 1947.

The top oilers are not original, the ones on the front of the headstock are.

It appears that the original horizontal drive countershaft has been abandoned and the spindle is now being "backdriven" through the gear train. As it is, you can do some turning, but you may not be doing much threading. A little internet searching will reveal the original gear configuration for the left hand side of the lathe.

The cross slide handle is definitely not original - the original one was a larger version of the one on the compound. "moves opposite its numbering" - maybe the non-original graduated dial is on backwards?

As far as the hole in the compound casting - not original, but I suppose it makes it easy to oil the screw.

If you're wanting to put this machine back into original condition, we can help. If you're going to replace wicks and such, you might check this out: Rebuild Manual Kit for 9

Paul

It was built around December 1947.

Doh, I scrolled through the list, saw the incrementing numbers and stopped. Didn't get to where they switched.

That was the biggest thing from me ordering parts is figuring out which model. I think it was setup for some process my great uncle was doing in his shop 60-70yrs ago. The threading would be a nice feature but I may pick up another lathe for that, that is a little newer and easier to do metric on.

To move the cross slide in, I would assume it should be the same direction as the compound?

Yep, same direction - turning either handle counter clockwise will move either compound or cross slide towards you.

Parts are very abundant for that machine, here, ebay, etc.. And metric threading gears are still available, new reproduction.

Back