What's new
What's new

Need some help re-assembling a Logan 10"

6of1

Plastic
First, I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post. Lurking shows a lot of Logan stuff ends up here with the SBs. Hopefully

I am in the process of a deep cleaning and re-assembly and I have a few questions (and then a few more before I'm done I bet). If pictures are needed let me know. Right now the machine is a pile of parts everywhere :D

In the headstock, spindle there are 2 bearings. One in rear that looks to be sealed and maybe press fit into headstock. Another in the front that doesn't look to be sealed (it came out with the spindle, I haven't removed it from the spindle though). When I removed the aluminum dust covers from headstock, inside was a grease, peanut butter in color but a lot thicker.

What grease should I replace this with?

Can the rear sealed bearing even be packed?

For lubrication type contact Logan Actuator in Chicago. Do not remove the front bearings from the spindle, if your lathe is an 800 or 900 series then the bearings are double angular contact type and preloaded at the factory. If you remove them it is likely they will be damaged beyond repair.

Oh! I should have said its a 200.. I'll get some pics uploaded, we all like pics :D

Attachments

• IMG_6973.jpg
    IMG_6973.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6978.jpg
    IMG_6978.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6977.jpg
    IMG_6977.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6952.jpg
    IMG_6952.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 140
More pics of machine parts

Attachments

• IMG_6980.jpg
    IMG_6980.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6979.jpg
    IMG_6979.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_6972.jpg
    IMG_6972.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 106
The machine is almost 100% cleaned. Just have to clean the lead-screw and wipe down the bed. I might CNC a delete plate for the On/Off switch that's been removed (machine has drum switch on belt guard) then I can start re-assembly.

I got a reply from LAco. They said the spindle bearings were factory lubed and aren't intended to be re-lubed, and Vactra 2 will work for everything else (oilite bushings, gear meshes, ways, apron gears, leadscrews & cone pulley). I have to grease the spindle because mine is empty, intended or not, lol.

I'm going to order a bottle of Vactra 2 & Chevron SRI-2 grease (for spindle) unless anyone has another opinion/option.

Back