What's new
What's new

Need South Bend part ran into a problem?

Ronniet

Aluminum
I have a 11" Southbend,have had it for many years, have rebuilt it entirely twice.
I need a new or used crossslide screw with the gear.
Mine is an underdrive type, has a 4' bed and looks like a heavy 10 , has the friction drive apron and power crossfeed,
I contacted the usual suspects and also the Southbend.com people that sell the replacement parts.
Well the problem is they need a part number to look it up.
well I would like to have one too!
They don't have any part numbers to check with so they gave me this forum to check with its members which I have been a member of for many years.
My lathe serial number is 54856 that is the only part number I have.
Was wondering if any member here had access to any part number or history on the lathe?
I guess it is possible to have a screw made but is out of my capabilities to make one with the gear and wouldn't know who to ask anyway.
Any help would be appreciated.
Please reply or email me or PM me.
Thanks
Ron
PS Southbend .com parts in their reply gave me the Practical machinist forum link to reply to, was spelled out correctly but when you click on it ,it changes the result every time to this web page http://www.rapidpartsengineering.com/ so PM web site is being coopted

Try SBLatheman ... Ted has a wealth of knowledge and has lots of NOS parts. A real good guy to deal with.

Brian

Thanks Brian and John, yes I tried Latheman , he already replied he didn't have one.
I assume that Southbend Parts.com doesn't either but worth a shot.
I see that everyone of the lathes listed in Steves print copy are listed as #224 I don't see how the 9" thru 24" swing lathes use that same part number??
I could only say that part number and tell them its a 11" R model and the part number is #224?
BTW thanks for the link, I scoured the Wells web site looking for that as I had seen it a long time ago.
Ron

Miller Machine makes screws to order at a reasonable price... Search here on PM for his website address. Best thing I ever did for my sothbend was a new cross feed screw and nut. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ditto on Miller machine. I bought a heavy 10 cross slide screw from them I don't know how many years ago that is still going strong. Jim

Thanks Brian and John, yes I tried Latheman , he already replied he didn't have one.
I assume that Southbend Parts.com doesn't either but worth a shot.
I see that everyone of the lathes listed in Steves print copy are listed as #224 I don't see how the 9" thru 24" swing lathes use that same part number??
I could only say that part number and tell them its a 11" R model and the part number is #224?
BTW thanks for the link, I scoured the Wells web site looking for that as I had seen it a long time ago.
Ron

The old part numbering system was to identify the machine size first, then the part number.
Example: 11-224 is the CF screw for the 11"
The newer numbering system had the identifier after the number.
Example PT224NK1 CF screw for the 9" and 10K
The 11" was not being made when they changed the numbering system and won't be on the new South Bend Lathe Company's computer.
Ted

Miller is ill and will be a while to be able to make a nut.
The Southbend parts.com is "no go".
All I get are pre-recorded answers to my questions about the part.
Evidently the parts on Steve's web site are just reference part numbers as the "224" number is used on every cross slide screw on every size lathe they made and if you do not have the right part number for Souhtbend Parts.com you aren't going to get a part.
Will repair the old one if I can.
Ron

Back