What's new
What's new

Need Tool Holder / Post for SB 9" Model B Any suggestions below $75.00 or so...?

mikesSB

Plastic
Need Tool Holder / Post for SB 9" Model B Any suggestions below $75.00 or so...?

I am looking for a reasonably priced tool holder for my 9" South Bend. The tool holder that came with it (Rocker/Lantern Style) seems to slip and loosen. Any suggestions for a holder that is under $75.00 or so...?
Thanks

Find a used Phase II toolpost. It's an aloris-style toolpost. The generic ones aren't very good and the actual Aloris and Dorian toolposts are very expensive.

The wedge toolpost is better than the piston toolpost, but if all you can find and afford is a piston, then get one.

You will need the AXA size. Anything else is too big.

Alternately, you can get a 4-position toolpost which holds 4 tools and you rotate the block to get the tool you need into position. Those can be a lot cheaper.

Steve

Find a used Phase II toolpost. It's an aloris-style toolpost. The generic ones aren't very good and the actual Aloris and Dorian toolposts are very expensive.

The wedge toolpost is better than the piston toolpost, but if all you can find and afford is a piston, then get one.

You will need the AXA size. Anything else is too big.

Alternately, you can get a 4-position toolpost which holds 4 tools and you rotate the block to get the tool you need into position. Those can be a lot cheaper.

Steve

A new Phase II, wedge type, runs about $125.00. You can get one here, Tools4cheap LLC Online Machine Shop Tooling Store: Lathe Tooling,Quick Change Tool Posts and Holders . I have one and they are functional. The fit isn't as nice as an Aloris, but for 1/5th the cost they are a good upgrade.

Just a note. Those are NOT Phase II toolposts. They are generic ones. I can't comment specifically on the ones sold by tools4cheap, but the generic ones I've seen were not worth the shipping cost, much less the price.

You can pick up a used Phase II cheap enough if you are patient.

The 4-position toolpost I mentioned looks like this:
moXxypQgcUHlaUoq1uSwDaQ.jpg

You unlock it, rotate a tool into position, then lock it. Some will let you lock it at increments of some number of degrees so that you can angle the tool bit.

Steve

I posted a similar question a month or so ago. Having never used a lathe I was not ready to invest in the quick change tool post yet. Too many things to buy at once. I found a four-way tool post on ebay for less than $40 (I think). I'm just getting my feet wet, but it is a lot better than the lantern toolpost. Don't get rid of the lantern toolpost though. There are times when it comes in handy.

I'm sure the quick change holders are the best way to go, but id cost if a factor the four-way is a good step up from the lantern, and if you get one cheap I'm sure it will not be a waste of money.

i have two new quick change toolposts piston style( the exact same as tools4cheap sells) that I can machine the t nut for your machine for $130 with shipping. If interested give me a call at 913 636 6107. Thanks Mike

I'm sure the quick change holders are the best way to go, but id cost if a factor the four-way is a good step up from the lantern, and if you get one cheap I'm sure it will not be a waste of money.

I still have the 4-way that came with my lathe. I figure that someday I'll be doing something as a production run and the tool changes with the 4-way will be even quicker than the Aloris-type toolpost.

Steve

Just a note. Those are NOT Phase II toolposts. They are generic ones. I can't comment specifically on the ones sold by tools4cheap, but the generic ones I've seen were not worth the shipping cost, much less the price.

You can pick up a used Phase II cheap enough if you are patient.

I'm not trying to dispute you, but in general Jeff sells pretty good stuff at tools4cheap.

Anything can be bought at the right price if one is PATIENT enough, but some folks like to start making chips. I had a Phase II and sold it and bought a used Aloris, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just that I can't imagine the quality of Enco's Phase II as being that much better. In fact, I can tell you for certain that the Phase II I had and sold was not as good of quality as an older piston Phase II that came with some tooling I got with another lathe. IMO, the quality of the older Phase II was much better, both post and holders.

Cheers,
Alan

I have a wedge type "Aloris" copy from tools4cheap and although its not as nice as the Aloris toolpost i use at work it's way better than my old lantern style i had. i paid 125.00

Back