What's new
What's new

Need your opinion

chiefaponte

Plastic
I just purchased a SB 14.5 lathe. the only obvious problem is that the idler gear is missing half of one tooth. There is no evidence of damage carrying over to the other gears it meshes with.

As I get ready to test the lathe (and find out what else is wrong) I was wondering if I should avoid testing using the partially broken gear or if it would be ok if I watch my speeds.

Thanks ahead for your help

If their is not a large burr where its broken out You should be able to operate
at slow speed.. If it makes noise try something different..

Good Luck
Steve..

Give us photos, and gear teeth count, and we might be able to give you a solution to the broken gear. I have a 14.5 and I replaced a couple of the gears but am not now where the lathe is. I have some gears but do not remember if they are for a 13 or a 14.5.
Bruce

If part of the tooth is there get someone that can braze to add on the missing piece and file it to shape. Gears are repaired often even with a whole tooth missing.

Somebody's asleep at the wheel.
Rules state that posts with meaningless titles that don't reveal the subject matter are supposed to be locked or deleted.
An awful lot have been slipping through on various forums lately.

It's rude to the readers who follow the rules and might not be interested.
But the real factor is it is difficult to search.
If your post said something like "partial broken gear tooth on SB14.5 idler - serious?" it would come up to inform anyone with a similar question who posted some simple search terms.

Per your actual question, It's load, not speed that will determine the life of the remaining "1/2" gear tooth. Pictures would help, but I think you will be ok, if as you indicate, you keep an eye (& ear) on it to catch it before other gears are damaged if it does go south. Also, SB gears tend to be relatively cheap/moderately priced on eBay. At least they used to, i have not watched for a few years.

smt

Not enough info...idler gear could be one of a few.

A pic would go a long way along with the tooth count and outside diameter of the gear.

Agree with above, if its not too bad, file down any burrs that might jam against the mating gear, if its too damaged to run braze it up and re-cut the tooth. That can be done by hand with files, or on a mill with the proper setup.

Back