What's new
What's new

new 10 inch lathe

jon

Aluminum
hello
south bend advertises the heavy 10 on their website. does anybody know if they are really available for sale or know of anybody that has bought one lately? they state that the bed is a us casting but is the whole lathe made in the us?
thanks
jon

I would avoid any machine tool product made in australia. they dont have the qualified workforce to produce quality industrial products.I'd pick chinese before australian.

That is a pretty severe observation regarding our Aussie friends. I have several boomerangs that do exactly as advertised...granted, I doubt that they were made on a lathe....

Aussy's have been making their own stuff for a long time, including machine tools, firearms, ships, submarines,...

You make them out to be a third world country, they are not. I have seen a hurcas clone of a 9" s.b., it was very nicely built and I would rather have it than any 9" or 10k.

Yea I think that generalization has no merit whatsover. First of all I have never heard anyone else make that sort of statement. And he offers up absolutley zero basis of proof to back up his mis-statement.

Mark

Dont be slagging the Aussies-
They make great Barbecues- my "Barbecue's Galore" australian built barbecue is still chugging along after 10 years of grilling oysters... :D

And what about hot rods?
Australia's Holden Division makes the only decent GM cars these days besides the corvette- rear wheel drive V8 screamers, including the australian version of the El Camino, which rocks.

Australians invented the MagnaBrake, as well- a really cool electromagnetic sheet metal brake sold by Roper Whitney in the USA.

They also make good punk rock, subversive films about transvestites- ever seen "Mr. Smith" from the Matrix in drag? and pretty decent wine and beer.

Back