What's new
What's new

new bed

SUOMI

Plastic
Need a quick answer here. Will a 1980 heavy 10 4 1/2' bed fit a 1959 heavy 10 4 footer?

Need a quick answer here. Will a 1980 heavy 10 4 1/2' bed fit a 1959 heavy 10 4 footer?

AFAIK it should, as long as your use your tailstock also. As a disclaimer, since the tailstocks are scraped to the bed, there could be some issues, but using the same headstock and tailstock would give you the best case scenario.

You'd probably have to get the saddle ground or scraped in too, to get it to slide right. Tail stocks and saddles tend to wear a certain way to their given bed.

Does it come with the longer leadscrew and rack? Also, I would expect to mill and scrape your saddle to fit the new bed. What about the chip tray or cabinet- how will you handle that?

allan

I got the bed with the original head stock and saddle didn't have tail but I can deal with that. As for the chip tray I think I'll have to fab a longer one. Says he has the longer lead screw so should all be ok.

You'd probably have to get the saddle ground or scraped in too, to get it to slide right. Tail stocks and saddles tend to wear a certain way to their given bed.

With the headstock and tailstock, there is only one V-way, and the underside of the headstock and tailstock should be scraped with spindle bores parallel to that, so you may be OK there. The other side of each just rests on a flat way.

On the saddle, there are TWO V-ways, so not only do you have an alignment issue, but you also have the issue of the distance the V-ways are apart.

You may find when you put a saddle on that it sits fine on one V-way, but only rests on one side of the other V-way.

Steve

Thanks to all for the replies but the guy I bought it from on e-bay canceled my order without reason! 680.00 dollars worth of what I would like and no reason. Pissed off! My first bad incident with e-bay.

Thanks to all for the replies but the guy I bought it from on e-bay canceled my order without reason! 680.00 dollars worth of what I would like and no reason. Pissed off! My first bad incident with e-bay.

You're not alone there - I had a guy do the same to me on a $10K pickup truck. Go figure some people.

Well here's a new one. Got a call monday and it was the guy that canceled my order. Calls and says had already sold what I bought and that's why he sent my money back. Long story short he's always out of town and a guy in Texas bought what I bought a few seconds before me but ebay didn't get that I guess? So the guy in Texas says you can frieght it to what ever place and the guy with the parts says LOCAL PICK UP ONLY!
So he sends his money back and calls me and I get to pick it up because I"M LOCAL! Wish me me luck with this one.

I am a little late to this dance :o , but I think you will find that the 1980 bed's mounting is quite different than the 1959. The bed design was changed about that time. What ever base/legs you have now won't be a direct swap.
Ted

Well it took me this long to calm down. The guy sold it to the guy in Texas and just says sorry for the mix up.Whatever. So I bought a nice Brown&Sharpe 510 surface grinder for less money and only a half hour from home!:)All's well and this guy threw in the mag. base!

So I know I'm on the southbend forum here but a question about the surface grinder?
Got the original mag base with it and put a round on it but won't come off? The on/off bar doesn't seem to work. Are these hard to fix? It's nice that the mag holds that well. Anyone worked on these?

Back