What's new
What's new

New Heavy 10 project

Scottneh

Plastic
Hi all, im new to this forum and have ZERO friends..haha. I recently aquired a SB Heavy 10L, Serial No. 131660. I think this machine has gone through allot of hands and id like a baseline to start research for restoration. There are a few uniqieties about this machine so I wanted to ask the experts here. First, the switch is mounted to a plate that is welded to the bench (I at least know this is wrong). Ive seen pics with this style bench where the switch is mounted to an arm above the headstock or mounted under the chip pan. My bench has two holes under the chip pan in the location where it looks like the switch mount went and there is no sign of the bolt holes on the ways for the switch mount arm that would be above the head stock BUT my switch looks like the one that would go on the arm. Theres also several holes and places where boxes of some sort were mounted. If anyone can provide some insight id really appreciate it!20170305_151304.jpg20170307_071835.jpg20170307_071941.jpg20170319_201845.jpg20170319_201826.jpg

The factory put the switch in several different places, or even left it off for the owner to install. Put it where it suits you and don't worry about it.

The bigger question here is your compound, looks like it has probably been broken and repaired, and maybe had the body shortened as well?

allan

Do you have the missing covers, taper attachment handle and tailstock?

I'm sure they are out there but I've never seen a mounting arm on a desk model, they are usually on the one's with legs. I have seen switches in different places though. Is the motor 3 phase or single phase? Often times if they're switched over you will have empty holes where a breaker box/panel was mounted on the side but is no longer needed.

Possible someone had a magnetic starter on the side at one point in addition to the drum switch. Maybe the original one failed and what you have there is a case of "I had this on the shelf".

My 10L on the same cabinet has a smaller drum switch mounted in the center, where your holes are. The bracket was missing so I made one from a piece of angle iron. I don't think mine is original either.

Thanks for the responses so far! I'll take some better pics of the compound and post them to better understand if it has been modified. The compound and thread dial do look a little more modern than the rest of the machine (maybe 60's era). I have some of the taper attachment parts but the binding lever, swivel bar various fasteners are missing. I have to take it apart and compare it to the parts diagrams I have to see what is really missing. I do have the covers and tailstock but they are on my work bench. The motor was replaced by the last owner and is a single phase 220VAC motor. Runs very well. I think gadget73 is right about the switch being something that was on a shelf.

Back