What's new
What's new

New Lathe Toys

ng19delta

Aluminum
Well, with the tax refund this year, I decided to invest in the lathe a little more- so off I went, shopping on the internet. Ted,(SBLatheman), was kind enough to sell me a beautiful follower rest: On e-bay, I bought a center rest, a set of outside chucks for my 5" three jaw universal chuck, a South Bend milling and keyway cutting attachment(missing its handle), and an almost complete taper adapter setup, which was missing its end support bracket- which I found elsewhere on e-bay. I also scored about 20 collets(3c & 1a) as well as the complete rack for it! That one made me real happy. And a thread cutting tool made its way here, as did a brand new set of Grizzly keyway cutters, and a set of Do-All end mills...

As stated, the milling and keway cutting attachment is missing its handle: while I am still looking for an original one, I made one on the lathe, which is basically a vertical handle with some of my best knurling yet on it, and a hole at the end for the shaft and pin. The taper adapter is in nice shape- except someone trued it up at some point- and erased the witness marks on both ends of the taper swivel bar and the compound rest base! I was able to make new witness marks, though I may be off a hair- they are at least within a hair of correct, and precise enough for my non-rocket surgery machinations...

Now to have fun playing with all this stuff, and learning how to use them properly!

I am still looking for a carriage stop for the 9A- both a hard stop and a micrometer stop: but prices on e-bay are ridiculous!

Scott

Well, this would be a good time to start practicing your skills and make yourself some carriage stops - no need to keep buying everything and making others rich!

Well, this would be a good time to start practicing your skills and make yourself some carriage stops - no need to keep buying everything and making others rich!

I agree! I am doing that for some things, but looking for originals for other stuff. I am looking towards making whatever I need eventually. But I am still in the learning mode, but having fun!

Thanks!
Scott

I kinda made the carriage stop for my Monarch. I bought a Starrett mic head and put it in a base that clamps to the front vee-way. I did it as a stop gap until I found the roun-tuit to build a better version but it's still in service 5 years later.

Not factory, but you can bet on the graduations being accurate.

Back