What's new
What's new

New to Me 14 1/2" South Bend Lathe Circa 1943! Pumped!

jwweathers

Aluminum
I purchased a 14 1/2" South Bend Lathe from a high school, and drove about 10 hrs round trip to get it yesterday. Being built in 1943 and operated by high school students for 75 years or so has taken its toll. Nevertheless, I am grateful to have it! I am really looking forward to getting it in working order. If you guys have any tips on rebuilding one of these beautiful machines, I would love to hear them! For instance, where can I find parts?? Thanks!

Jeff

20171108_104405.jpg

I purchased a 14 1/2" South Bend Lathe from a high school, and drove about 10 hrs round trip to get it yesterday. Being built in 1943 and operated by high school students for 75 years or so has taken its toll. Nevertheless, I am grateful to have it! I am really looking forward to getting it in working order. If you guys have any tips on rebuilding one of these beautiful machines, I would love to hear them! For instance, where can I find parts?? Thanks!

Jeff

View attachment 212403
That looks like brother of ours.

First suggestion is AB 13XX VFD and wire to existing control and added foot bar for e - stop

We also added Gibbs oilers for tailstock and carriage ways.

You can search our posts from about 3 years ago.

Do order the rebuild manual but there was not a felt kit at the time so grainger has assorted felts that can be ordered then cut to fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

For parts check with Ted, [email protected] or keep your eyes on eBay. Parts aren't common but they do pop up from time to time.

I had one identical to it long ago. Congratulations.

Where do you guys find out about these lathes being sold from schools?

There are several 14.5 parts on eBay now. They seem to come in waves as machines are parted out. Recommend you set up a saved search on eBay that will alert you when they hit.

Also, I wouldn't start a rebuild without Steve Wells' rebuild manual and felt kit, also sold on eBay. Just search South Bend rebuilt kit. He also sells recommended lubes for them.

Edit: Meant to say I wouldn't start a rebuilt WITHOUT Steve's excellent rebuild books. I couldn't have taken on my 16" lathe without it.

Last edited:
Also, I wouldn't start a rebuild with Steve Wells' rebuild manual and felt kit, also sold on eBay. Just search South Bend rebuilt kit. He also sells recommended lubes for them.

Why not? I've bought several and always thought they were of good quality.

Why not? I've bought several and always thought they were of good quality.

Not to step on his toes, but I suspect that is a typo, and he meant to say that wouldn't start a rebuild without the manual and felt kit.

To the OP, congratulations on acquiring your lathe. I think you will find that some parts, tooling, and accessories will interchange between the 14 1/2 and the 16. For instance, they both use a 2 3/8 - 6 spindle thread. Are there any parts you are looking for at the moment?

Marc

Not to step on his toes, but I suspect that is a typo, and he meant to say that wouldn't start a rebuild without the manual and felt kit.

To the OP, congratulations on acquiring your lathe. I think you will find that some parts, tooling, and accessories will interchange between the 14 1/2 and the 16. For instance, they both use a 2 3/8 - 6 spindle thread. Are there any parts you are looking for at the moment?

Marc

At first glance, I am looking for an original tail stock wheel, clutch lever, cross feed screw, clutch star knob screw. I am guessing I will need more once I dive into it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Did the 14 1/2" have some provision for storing an extra chuck on the legs, or is it a owner modification? (Or just an optical illusion?) Congrats on your new machine and returning safely with it back home.

Did the 14 1/2" have some provision for storing an extra chuck on the legs, or is it a owner modification? (Or just an optical illusion?) Congrats on your new machine and returning safely with it back home.

Thanks! That is just a modification. Seems handy. I may just leave it.

It looks like it was done hastily. I think I will cut a new one with my plasma table and replace it. I'll cut two of them if you want one.

That's a really nice offer. How is it attached to the leg? After looking more closely at mine, I wouldn't be too keen on drilling into the cast iron leg anywhere to weaken it. Wouldn't show up as a problem sitting still, but during a move getting bumped around or rolled over uneven ground, a hole would be a good place for the CI to crack.

If it could be suspended from smaller screws somehow up close under the chip pan, that might be a viable option. Could also hang from the chip pan itself, although I'm reluctant to drill additional holes in the bottom of it.

That's a really nice offer. How is it attached to the leg? After looking more closely at mine, I wouldn't be too keen on drilling into the cast iron leg anywhere to weaken it. Wouldn't show up as a problem sitting still, but during a move getting bumped around or rolled over uneven ground, a hole would be a good place for the CI to crack.

If it could be suspended from smaller screws somehow up close under the chip pan, that might be a viable option. Could also hang from the chip pan itself, although I'm reluctant to drill additional holes in the bottom of it.

It is just mounted to a leg with a couple of socket heads. I can't imagine that would be a problem, but Ive been wrong before...

That is the same vintage as mine, altho mine has the 8' bed, and every part is still there, including all the little brass pins/daubers, drip rails, chip pan, and a factory backsplash. Mine was never in a school, is tagged as War Department, and shows no wear on the ways, although there are some "chew marks" on the compound, and a good coating of hideous green and yellow paint under all the grease and swarf... someday when I get around to cleaning it up, I'll start my own thread and post some pics! Serial no is 133503, and is a 183-E. V

That is the same vintage as mine, altho mine has the 8' bed, and every part is still there, including all the little brass pins/daubers, drip rails, chip pan, and a factory backsplash. Mine was never in a school, is tagged as War Department, and shows no wear on the ways, although there are some "chew marks" on the compound, and a good coating of hideous green and yellow paint under all the grease and swarf... someday when I get around to cleaning it up, I'll start my own thread and post some pics! Serial no is 133503, and is a 183-E. V

I’ve never seen a factory SBL Co backsplash. Please post detailed photos as I’m about to make a splash for my 1943 16” machine. I’d much rather duplicate the original than make something up.

Mounting points would be especially interesting.

Thanks!

Thomas,

Did you have your bed ways ground? I think I saw a video of you showing off your freshly ground ways. I am thinking of doing the same. Should I?

Jeff

Thomas,

Did you have your bed ways ground? I think I saw a video of you showing off your freshly ground ways. I am thinking of doing the same. Should I?

Jeff

Jeff, see my DM for the extended answer. Short answer is it really depends on a couple things:

- What's your financial situation and can your family tolerate the expense and time required?
- What makes you happy? If you must have an accurate machine to enjoy using it, the only option is to grind (followed by a lot of other work)

Grinding is the first step in a fairly long process for a novice like me. I'd be surprised if $1,000 is the total bill when the dust settles...the bed is one thing, but the carriage and tailstock base will need the same level of attention.

Take a look at my longer note and see what the voices on your shoulders are telling you to do. Ha.

Back