What's new
What's new

New to me 1928 9" Model A

Rodm1

Aluminum
So, after running a Craigslist search for over a year, finally got a hit in local lathe. Turns out, I hit the jackpot so to speak.
Initially was not very hopeful, but after scrutinizing pics, realized it was a model A with taper attachment. Upon inspection, found it to be well beyond my highest hopes.
Looks to be original paint with almost no visible wear. Just dirty. This 1928 9" modal A came with -
Taper attachment, milling attachment, thread stop, thread dial, micrometer stop, following rest, steady rest, southbend wooden collet box, and a few other items I can't identify. Looks to be almost every attachment or accessories available at the time of manufacture.

Attachments

• 20160818_195849.jpg
    20160818_195849.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 573
  • 20160818_195808.jpg
    20160818_195808.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 489
  • 20160818_195814.jpg
    20160818_195814.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 437
  • 20160818_195835.jpg
    20160818_195835.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 463
That looks like some kind of table saw blade guard. BTW, you have a wide-bed 9" lathe, not the later 9A Workshop lathe. I don't think 'A' was ever used to describe your lathe.

allan

Thanks for the info. I have a 1938 model c, but really wanted to find a southbend with qc gearbox and the taper attachment was a huge bonus along with the other accessories.
Model # is 782-A

Nice looking lathe in especially nice shape. I think that the mystery piece is some sort of saw guard also.

A bunch of years worth of dirt and grease, but the few spots I've cleaned look great for its age. So far only about 4-5" inches in front of chuck that have scraping mark wear. Hope to really dig into this over the weekend.
One negative is that it is missing hand wheel for milling attachment. Can make another easy enough, but I like them original parts.
Correct - it had a 4 foot bed.
This was the kind of info I was hoping for. Thanks guys, keep it coming.

The counter shaft is chain driven from the motor. Unfortunately, the arm that holds directional switch is broken. I have it and looks like someone had tried to mig weld it. Should be able to clean it up and braze/tig it back on. The switch is huge compared to the Furnace switch on my model c. I will throw some more picture up of the different parts and accessories tonight or tomorrow.
The headstock assembly Is interesting. A bit smaller looking compared to later models and appears to have brass/bronze inserts at the bearing caps??? Also has a different style thread protector than my C.

Series O apron controls......

In case its not immediately apparent, the apron knob with star loosens and shifts up and down to select between long and cross feed - or centered when threading

When its where you want it, tighten knob

The larger knob to left is apron clutch - engages or disengages feed gearing in apron - something your C wasn't born with

This machine may not have interlock between threading and feeding

Thanks for the link and explanation of apron controls. I definitely needed that to understand it's workings. The motor is original and likely unsalvagable. I have yet to figure out how I will mount and replace motor. Also need a belt. I'm hoping to restore/refurbished this and resell the c, which is also in fantastic condition. I just don't have enough room for both. My wife has actually been very understanding. :o

Don't paint it!

That thing looks great....so do you have the "self contained" countershaft unit?

oh, for a belt try John..LeatherDriveBelts.com

Lol. Not a chance. Scared you with the restore/refurbished comment did i? I agree, painting this would be sacrilege. Just needs cleaned thoroughly and oiled properly. Don't even plan on inspecting shaft if there isn't a reason to. Everything moves pretty well. All of the gits and oil plugs are in place and look to be clear of debri. Going to use a mirror and flashlight to inspect apron mechanics. Don't want to do any more fussing than needs to be.
Serial is 38732.
20160819_190756.jpg
Looks like I'll only have one real day to play with it this weekend. Need to rapid prototype a modified design at work for a meeting Monday. Fun, but not the fun I had intended.
20160819_191122.jpg
Keep going back to that link I wannanew10k posted. That's it to a "T". Definitely has the phospher bronze bearings. Didn't realize 9's came with these at any point.
I will try my best to document the different parts as I clean.
This is much more interesting than I had initially thought. :willy_nilly:

No surprises so far. Everything is pointing to this machine being well taken care of and actually use very little over its life of 89 years.
All gears intact and pretty clean.
20160820_175423.jpg20160820_175434.jpg20160820_175457.jpg20160820_175507.jpg

Nice find

Whats wrong with the original motor? Those old ones are usually pretty tough. Unless the windings are torched, it may be nothing you can't sort out with a cap, cleaning the start switch, and maybe replacing the bearings. Interesting drive setup too. Is that original or did someone refit a timing chain off a V8 on there?

Nice find

Whats wrong with the original motor? Those old ones are usually pretty tough. Unless the windings are torched, it may be nothing you can't sort out with a cap, cleaning the start switch, and maybe replacing the bearings. Interesting drive setup too. Is that original or did someone refit a timing chain off a V8 on there?
As johnoder points out, it is the original drive. This is definitely different in many ways to the "workshop" lathes that are so abundant, as I am finding out. And while the motor could possibly be salvaged, I would rather not spend all the time and just replace with a modern motor and possibly a vfd.

Can you read the motor plate? Link says 1200rpm motor so an 1140rpm 3ph would be ideal...I would be wary of keeping the speeds to around original 45-700rpm...it might be hard to make it work in the original drive unit as everything has to be close to original size to fit...

Can you read the motor plate? Link says 1200rpm motor so an 1140rpm 3ph would be ideal...I would be wary of keeping the speeds to around original 45-700rpm...it might be hard to make it work in the original drive unit as everything has to be close to original size to fit...

It is definitely the original motor, but I will see if I can clean up the name plate and verify the rpm. The isolation is totally shot on wiring and the motor itself is covered and grease and what appears to be saw and the former embedded in all the openings.
Going to be grabbing some industrial degrading soap from work today and some non-marring scrub pads. I have the lathe sitting on an old wood lathe stand and will most likely put some plastic underneath and get crazy with the cleaner,
One upgrade I will be fabricating is a chip pan and stand out of 316l stainless. Running a manufacturing facility that primarily uses stainless has its perks.

Back