What's new
What's new

New to me south bend 9

boomerang69

Aluminum
First of all I'd like to say thanks for all the information I have received from the members here,really enjoy reading the post from South Bend owners.I recently acquired a workshop model I think,Its in very good shape and has lots of tooling.It has a 3' bed serial number 106220.I haven seen pics of these lathes and there is always scraping marks on the ways.This bed has no sign of ever having those even under the headstock,they are smooth.Did the cheaper models not get scraped or was these ground.I have known the previous owner for 30 years and I'm sure he never had any work done to it.I will post some pictures soon .Thanks

Its old enough to probably need to be reground. perhaps it was, mine is a serial number 94xxx from the 1943 era, and i had to remove .015" of metal from both sides of the front V way to get it flat.

Scraping the bed lets crap get under the way wipers, only the moving/hidden surfaces need oil pockets cut into them.

That wasn't his question.

OP, I had a Heavy 10 like that. It was way too early to be flame hardened but there were no original scrape marks anywhere, even under the headstock. I just assumed it was ground and never scraped.

Perhaps Ted could chime in and tell us more?

Yes,I've had a few south bends and some had flaking some not.I just wondered if the better machines were scraped.I'm guessing this machine is from the forties,did they grind beds and scrape others in those days

Back